BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8

We have a lot of table sitting on LASR server and we obviously want to do some clean up. But, before we go about cleaning up LASR server I would like to know what jobs, procs, programs, person or object is using those LASR tables. It would help us making decision about what tables can be dropped from LASR. I tried bunch of stuffs and for some of the LASR tables I got the list of jobs that are using them. But there are still a lot of tables for which I believe there's no DIS job that are using them. Just wondering if there's a easy way to answer following questions about these LASR tables. Who created these tables? What objects are using these tables (i.e. DIS job, stored procedure, sas program etc.) ? How frequently they are referenced/ used? What tables are never referenced/ used by anyone?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
alexal
SAS Employee

@Alok_Pal,

That can be easily identified if you started the LASR server with a "logging" option. In that case, you can examine the LASR server log file and see who, when, and how often started the actions on the LASR tables. A while ago I've built the utility for parsing the LASR logs, I can upload it to GitHub if you want.

Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8

Yes, please do that. That would really help.

Thank you.

Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks alexal. I may be asking for too much but is it possible to get a readme file or any documentation about how to execute this code.
alexal
SAS Employee

@Alok_Pal,

For example:

python3.6 lasrlog.py /Users/alexal/Downloads/LASR.1332805759.98431.saslasr.log 20

This command prints 20 actions from the log sorted by run time. 

usage: lasrlog.py [-h] [-c HOWMANY]
[-s {id,pid,sastime,time,user,rawcmd,tablename,statusmsg,runtime}]
[-r REVERSE] [-g GREATERTHAN] [-coloring COLORING]
file

positional arguments:
file The path to actions file

optional arguments:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-c HOWMANY, --howmany HOWMANY
How many actions needs to be printed after sorting? By
default 10.
-s {id,pid,sastime,time,user,rawcmd,tablename,statusmsg,runtime}, --sortby {id,pid,sastime,time,user,rawcmd,tablename,statusmsg,runtime}
Sort by specific field. By default sorting by runtime.
Possible values are: id, pid, sastime, time, user,
rawcmd, tablename, statusmsg, runtime
-r REVERSE, --reverse REVERSE
This is using to flag descending sorts (boolean
value), by default True.
-g GREATERTHAN, --greaterthan GREATERTHAN
Print actions with run time greater or equals
specified value
-coloring COLORING, --coloring COLORING

BrunoMueller
SAS Super FREQ

Hi

Also have a look at the VA Admin Guide http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/va/7.3/en/vaag.pdf on page 121 it gives you more information about predefined admin reports and how to switch on the data collection.

Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks Bruno_SAS. That was really helpful.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation