BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sas7000
Calcite | Level 5

Our users need to connect to Workspace server etc using SAS EG.  How to grant access to the users on the server without adding them under server administrators?  Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

The users need to be part of a group that has READMETADATA access to the SAS Workspace.  And if using their own host account to authenticate, that account needs "Log on as a batch job" privileges (Windows-specific) on the OS.  They could be part of an Active Directory group with that right.

Others in the group might share their own best practices.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

I think you covered all the bases on a great simple way Chris 🙂 

sas7000
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you. they also need to write. I guess There shoud be an option to write also.  Let me try this out. Thanks again.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

They don't need WRITE on the SAS Workspace definition in order to use it.  READMETADATA should be enough to read the server definition and allow them to connect.  Any work they do while connected (writing programs, creating data) is NOT governed by the permissions on this server definition.

If you have administered libraries in metadata that they need to add content to, they would need WRITE and WRITEMETADATA on those.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Define a security approach as documented at http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bisecag/67045/HTML/default/viewer.htm#titlepage.htm  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
sas7000
Calcite | Level 5

Users meaning developers.  They are writing code saving and running on stored process servers etc.  I assume they need some kind of write access?  does readmetadata permission gives that kind of ability?  sorry I am new so, kind of dumb question?

Thanks in advance.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Metadata permissions are stored per object for users/groups.

So you have a group of users that develop apps.

Their group should have READMETADATA defined in the Authorization panel of the Workspace Server (that's all they need so that their Enterprise Guide  - or SAS Studio - can connect to it),

but they will need WRITEMETADATA and WRITE permissions on other objects (libraries, folders)

sas7000
Calcite | Level 5

would they be able to run stored procs with this setup?  Thanks in advance.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I would just like to add the possibility to configure IWA. It's user friendly and removes the requirement for the log on as batch job privilege. Many sites don't like granting this.
Data never sleeps
sas7000
Calcite | Level 5

Unfortunately none of these are working correctly.  They are able to make connection with granting access to workspace server by giving READMETADATA.  Then EG shows readonly when a program is opened locally.  Appreciae any help.

anja
SAS Employee

Hi there,

when you say "EG shows read only", what exactly do you mean?

Are users trying to access tables in EG and get an error message? If so, what kind of error message?

Do you receive an authorization error right at the beginning when a user logs on?

Could you provide some more info please?

If you look at the Metadata Server log and Object Spawner log, do you see any error messages?

Thanks

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

By "program", do you mean a (extension .sas) SAS program (text file) or an Enterprise Guide project file?

Where are the files stored (local on the PC, in metadata, in "Files" on the workspace server, on a networked drive)?

How do you notice that the file is read-only (messsage when opening, or error when trying to save)?

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 like
  • 7 in conversation