BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pmotto
Fluorite | Level 6

Our SAS VA (7.3) Web App Server will suddenly stop while the rest of the SAS services are operating normally. This has happened twice. We are in a SAS VA Distributed environment  on Unix.  Has anyone else had this happen? Also how do we prevent this from happening or can it be prevented?

Note: The service can be started again successfully.

Thank you, Patti

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pmotto
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you. I will have to wait and see if this happens again and not restart the SAS WebApp server until I review all the logs.

Thanks for your advice.

Patti

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Have you checked the SASSERVER1_1 server log for evidence of any problems?

anja
SAS Employee

Hi,

take a look at the gemfire log:

sasconfigdir...\Lev1\Web\gemfire\instances\....

and, as it was suggested, the sasserver1_1 log at sasconfigdir\...\Lev1\Web\WebAppServer\SASServer1_1\logs

Any errors?

Thanks

Anja

pmotto
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you. I restarted the server too soon and it erased the entries in the gemfire.log file.

But, I did discover that the server failed (stopped) because free memory space was chewed up to a point to where the Web App Server could no longer function. The problem is the free memory space started to decline at 1:00 am when no one is using the VA environment and no processes /scheduled jobs have been implemented in that Linux environment.  Now I just dont know what would cause that.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Perhaps keep monitoring memory usage for a few days to see if there is a pattern emerging or if the problem was a one-off event. One-off problems can be tricky, and if no evidence can be found for the cause then often the approach could be just to monitor more closely in case the problem reappears.

If you haven't done so already then checking the server's OS event logs around 1:00am could be worthwhile to see if anything related may have happened.

pmotto
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you. I will have to wait and see if this happens again and not restart the SAS WebApp server until I review all the logs.

Thanks for your advice.

Patti

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation