BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vkrishna
Quartz | Level 8

Hello All,

We have SAS 9.4 office analytics deployment. We are testing throughput using the sasiotest.exe tool from the SAS app server to the windows file share server. It seems we are getting the write - 140 MB/sec and read - 150 MB/sec throughput with a single instance of sasiotest. If we run multiple concurrent sessions of sasiotest the throughput values for each session are 30 Mb/sec for Read and Write. Any suggestions on these throughput recommendations from sas server to the permanent filesystem?

Is it ok to run multiple sasiotest sessions to test throughput?

SAS server configuration:

SAS 9.4 M6 - 8 Cores

80 GB RAM

OS - Windows Server 2012 R2

File share server:

4 Cores

32 GB RAM

50 TB storage

Pure Storage FlashBlade

Windows Server 2012 R2

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The documentation for SASIOTEST suggests running multiple instances as long as there minimal other disk activity to mimic multiple concurrent jobs: Doc 

The SAS recommendation is that you should be seeing at least 100MB per sec per core throughput, so the figures you are getting look slow. 

vkrishna
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you @SASKiwi for SAS document.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Our server (2 cores) works on a SAN, with a continuous net rate of 300 MB/s.

So you should get better storage. A Windows-based NAS is hardly adequate. Your storage should be attached to your SAS server with at least 8 Gbit fibre-optic bandwidth, or you'll be permanently I/O bound.

vkrishna
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you @Kurt_Bremser.

Any recommendations on our current Pure Storage type?

vkrishna
Quartz | Level 8

@Kurt_Bremser 

I discussed this with my internal team. They told me that both servers are VMs and not connected directly. SAS server running with 16 GB fiber channel and file server runs over 10 GB network connection.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation