BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Leelaprasad
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

Is SAS 9.3 (TS1M2) supports Windows 2012 and 2016 ?

Currently it is running in 2008 R2.

Thanks in advance..

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

You can check here:

https://support.sas.com/supportos/list

@Leelaprasad wrote:

Hi All,

Is SAS 9.3 (TS1M2) supports Windows 2012 and 2016 ?

Currently it is running in 2008 R2.

Thanks in advance..

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Because that "support matrix" is a little difficult to navigate, I'll cut to it:

For SAS 9.3, Windows 2012 (and Windows 2012 R2) is supported.  Windows 2016 is not. 

SAS 9.3 Maint 2 was released in 2012.  The fact that Windows 2016 (released in 2016) is not officially supported probably reflects the fact that it's not a tested/certified configuration, and not necessarily that there are known incompatibilities.  SAS does not routinely test older releases of software on every new operating system release.  Sometimes newer operating systems don't support other components that older SAS releases depend upon, such as a specific version of a Java runtime or other code libraries.

In my experience, it's possible to get older versions of SAS to run on newer versions of Windows.  But there might be installation hurdles, and just because you get it installed/running doesn't mean SAS Tech Support can service this as a supported configuration.  Thus, if I were an enterprise that relied on this in production, I'd consider it to be a risky configuration.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you are going to go to the trouble of upgrading your SAS OS, why not upgrade SAS at the same time? You are missing out on a lot of new features by remaining on an old version.

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Fully agree with @SASKiwi.

We have long moved from SAS 9.3 to SAS 9.4 and we're already well on our way with SAS Viya. Also keep in mind, it's not only application software like SAS that moves forward, it's the entire ecosystem of OS, DBs, utility software, etc.

Just some thoughts.....

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Get the current release of SAS (it's free with your license) and install that. Not doing is is at best foolish, IMO, and might get you fired when the new installation breaks for some incompatibilty reason that wasn't obvious from the beginning (something that happens quite often with the Windows dungheap).

Especially with Windows, ONLY use combinations certified by SAS. That puts the responsibility of dealing with the Windows idiosyncrasies squarely in the lap of SAS. I'd even be wary of installing any Windows update/hotfix that has not yet been tested in Cary.

Leelaprasad
Calcite | Level 5

Thank for your points sir..

Can you please tell me how we have to upgrade to 9.4 from 9.3

Thanks in advance..

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Leelaprasad wrote:

Thank for your points sir..

Can you please tell me how we have to upgrade to 9.4 from 9.3

Thanks in advance..

Get in contact with your SAS representative/account manager. They will provide you a software order with the current software for your license.

Then, follow the installation instructions provided with your software order and install SAS on the new server.

After that, copy your configuration and data over to the new server, and once you have verified its function, move your users and decommission the old server.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Leelaprasad - your starting point should be the SAS Migration page: http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/utility/upgrade.html

Please read the resources here as well as following @Kurt_Bremser's great advice.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation