BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
greg_maislin
Fluorite | Level 6

I am running:

9.4 (TS1M6)

SAS/STAT 15.1

X64_10PRO WIN 10.0.19041  Workstation

I need to renew.

When I click on Renew SAS Software a window opens asking if SAS can make changes.  I click yes and the renew program disappears, nothing happens, and I am unable to renew.

anyone else having this particular problem with renewing and has solved this problem?

thanks!!

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The SAS Renew process requires write access to your SAS installation folders. You could test this out by trying to add and change a test file in the SASHome folder on your workstation hard drive.

greg_maislin
Fluorite | Level 6

I posted this last year.  The same thing is happening.  The renew program and the deployment manager program seems to start, but then nothing happens and I can't renew.

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
How did you resolve it last year? Does right-clicking and choosing "Run as administrator" change the behavior?
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
greg_maislin
Fluorite | Level 6
I may have answered this already. But apparently I resolved this issue last year and this by ignoring SASDM.exe and instruction to use SAS Renew and Deployment. Instead, I stumbled upon a different renewal utility in C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASRenewalUtility\9.4 named SASRenew.exe and this worked without problems.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

There is a back door workaround to this as long as the licence hasn't expired. Open a SAS Windowing Environment session (aka Display Manager). Paste the PROC SETINIT statements only from your new licence into the Program Editor and run them. Check the SAS log for the message site information has been updated. 

greg_maislin
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you very much for your quick help. I will save this information.
Interestingly, I found another solution. If I ignore all of the instructions I found to use SASDM.EXE or sas deployment manager, I found another directory C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASRenewalUtility\9.4. In this directory I found SASRenew.exe. This program opened and let me renew with no problem. I wonder why SAS instructions don't mention this other way to renew.
In the start menu neither SAS Renew or SAS Deployment works - but this 'secret' SASRenew.sas in SASRenewalUtility does work - strange, but OK. I saved a screen shot to help me remember for next year.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

The Renew utility or SAS Deployment Manager Update Licence option work across all SAS Platforms including server installations. The back door method I mentioned is really only suited to PC installations and is how you used to apply SAS licenses in SAS versions prior to Version 9. 

ronf_sas
SAS Employee

The Renew SAS Software 9.4 shortcut in the start menu invokes the SAS Deployment Manager Renew SAS Software task.  If the SAS Deployment Manager will not start, Renew SAS Software 9.4 from the start menu will not start either.

Without the SAS Deployment Manager logs, it is hard to say why the SAS Deployment Manager does not start.  If you are interested in finding out why the SAS Deployment Manager will not start, zip and send these logs to SAS Technical Support:  C:\users\your-user-ID\appdata\local\sas\sasdeploymentwizard\

If you want to investigate yourself, here is a SAS Note that addresses a common cause of the SAS Deployment Manager not starting.  It tells you what log to look in and what error message to  look for, and provides a workaround:  40012 - SAS® Deployment Wizard or SAS® Deployment Manager for SAS® 9.2, SAS® 9.3, or SAS® 9.4 fails ...

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation