BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
paulinalawson
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Community,

We are currently using Windows Version 9.4_M2 and we have it installed on (D:) drive (4TB). Our usage has been increasing and the disk space is getting filled up (D: 400 GB remaining). We already changed the Temp files location to a different drive. 

I was wondering if we can move some of the SASApp shared libraries to a different drive, so we can cleanup some space in (D:) drive. Can we configure multiple locations to write the SASApp Libraries and Files?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Appreciate the help!

Paulina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Given this is Windows, I would get the new drives created then remotely log onto the SAS App server and use Windows Explorer to copy the directories. Then I would open SAS Management Console and in Data Library Manager modify the relevant libraries to point to the new folder location. Try to avoid using drive letters if possible. Using Windows folder shares like - \\MySASServer\MySASFolderShare\MySASLibraryFolder is way better. The reason is you can also use these in Windows Explorer on your PC to check the contents of your SAS library folders.

Once all the libraries are working OK in their new location delete the original SAS data library folders.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

It is best practice for the SAS software install drive to only contain the installation files including associated logs. Any SAS libraries and datasets should be stored on separate drives so there is less chance it will cause problems with your installed software. I would recommend moving all SAS libraries and dataset to their own dedicated drives which will probably give you better IO performance as well. FYI, we have a very similar setup to you but only installed SAS software is on drive D and it is sized as only 100GB. 

paulinalawson
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you very much for your reply! Would you mind sharing the process to move the libraries and datasets. Currently Our users have network access to the folder (Example: "Operations" ) on the SAS Server, where they save libraries, programs, datasets, etc.. they connect to the SAS application using Enterprise Guide.

Goal is to move all the libraries/files to a different drive (like you suggested) or at least few files, so we can empty some space.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Given this is Windows, I would get the new drives created then remotely log onto the SAS App server and use Windows Explorer to copy the directories. Then I would open SAS Management Console and in Data Library Manager modify the relevant libraries to point to the new folder location. Try to avoid using drive letters if possible. Using Windows folder shares like - \\MySASServer\MySASFolderShare\MySASLibraryFolder is way better. The reason is you can also use these in Windows Explorer on your PC to check the contents of your SAS library folders.

Once all the libraries are working OK in their new location delete the original SAS data library folders.

paulinalawson
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you very much! I'll work on the solution.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation