BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bahadur26
Fluorite | Level 6

TRACE: Echo on;
TRACE: Log 'NOTE: Script file 'tcpunix.scr' entered.';
NOTE: Script file 'tcpunix.scr' entered.
TRACE: If not TCP then goto notcp;
TRACE: If signoff then goto signoff;
TRACE: Waitfor 'login:',
TRACE: 'Username:',
TRACE: 'Scripted signon not allowed': noscript,
TRACE: 120.0 seconds: noinit;
Username:
TRACE: Input display 'Userid?';
TRACE: Type lf;
TRACE: Waitfor 'Password',
TRACE: 30.0 seconds: nolog;
Password
TRACE: Input nodisplay 'Password?';
TRACE: unx_log:
TRACE: Waitfor 'Hello>': unxspawn,
TRACE: '$',
TRACE: 'bash-2.05$',
TRACE: '>',
TRACE: '',
TRACE: '}',
TRACE: 'Login incorrect': nouser,
TRACE: 'Enter terminal type': unx_term,
TRACE: 'TERM': unx_term,
TRACE: 30.0 seconds: timeout;
:Hello>
TRACE: unxspawn:
TRACE: Type 'bash /sas09/SASFoundation/9.3/sas -dmr -comamid tcp -device grlink -noterminal
-nosyntaxcheck' lf;
TRACE: Waitfor 'SESSION ESTABLISHED',
TRACE: 90.0 seconds: nosas;
ERROR: Cannot start remote process.
Goodbye
ERROR: Script file interpretation terminated due to error.
NOTE: End of script file trace.

I am working with SAS 9.3 and Linux Servers. I connect from PC SAS to Linux everyday using the above method but suddenly yesterday I am getting the message that "Cannot start remote process". 

It asks for Username and Password but after that error message logs. 

I am able to connect to Linux Test Server using the same method perfectly but something is wrong with Production. 

Any help/suggestion is appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bahadur26
Fluorite | Level 6

Finally after more than a month of looking for errors, we figured out the probelm in our case and now able to remote login via PC SAS. 

The problem was with the three files named elssrv, sasauth and sasperm in the SAS Install directory which should have 6755 (-rwsr) permission but somehow it was set to 755. We changed it to 6755 and the problem is resolved (You will have to ask for administrator who has root permissions to change). 

Thank you all for the support. There may be multiple reasons for not being able to remote login, the above is only one of many. 

Abhishek Singh 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
alexal
SAS Employee

I would like to review the most recent Connect Server log.

bahadur26
Fluorite | Level 6
Where can I find that log? I can share the SAS Log for which was generated with TRACE and ECHO on. Will this help ?
alexal
SAS Employee

@bahadur26,

>> Where can I find that log?
Usually in /<SASConfig>/Lev<X>/ConnectServer/Logs

>> I can share the SAS Log for which was generated with TRACE and ECHO on. Will this help ?
Nope, it's important to understand what kind of error you received on the server side.

anja
SAS Employee

Hi,

have there been any changes made to the set up, such as changing location of the script files?

Are all SAS servers up and running on the prod machine/where its failing?

Could you please add the log file including the code you are submitting, resp. give some detail about

how you connect?

Run the program with  options symbolgen; to see if we can get as much detail as possible (if you havent done so yet)

Thanks

Anja

bahadur26
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Anja, 

There has been no changes in the servers or the script file location. I have checked all the files and unixauto.scr. 

Checked both SAS Servers, they are up and I can work with them in Linux. 

Following is the signon script: 

%let mynode=epensass06 5005;
options netencryptalgorithm=sasproprietary;
options comamid=tcp remote=mynode;
options symbolgen;
filename rlink "C:\Users\c-absingh\Documents\unixauto.txt";
signon;

Following is the log for the session: 

603 %let mynode=epensass06 5005;
604 options netencryptalgorithm=sasproprietary;
605 options comamid=tcp remote=mynode;
606 options symbolgen;
607 filename rlink "C:\Users\c-absingh\Documents\unixauto.txt";
608 signon;
NOTE: Remote signon to MYNODE commencing (SAS Release 9.04.01M3P062415).
NOTE: Start of script file trace.
TRACE: Echo on;
TRACE: Log 'NOTE: Script file 'tcpunix.scr' entered.';
NOTE: Script file 'tcpunix.scr' entered.
TRACE: If not TCP then goto notcp;
TRACE: If signoff then goto signoff;
TRACE: Waitfor 'login:',
TRACE: 'Username:',
TRACE: 'Scripted signon not allowed': noscript,
TRACE: 120.0 seconds: noinit;
Username:
TRACE: Input display 'Userid?';
TRACE: Waitfor 'Password',
TRACE: 30.0 seconds: nolog;
Password
TRACE: Input nodisplay 'Password?';
TRACE: unx_log:
TRACE: Waitfor 'Hello>': unxspawn,
TRACE: '$',
TRACE: 'bash-2.05$',
TRACE: '>',
TRACE: '',
TRACE: '}',
TRACE: 'Login incorrect': nouser,
TRACE: 'Enter terminal type': unx_term,
TRACE: 'TERM': unx_term,
TRACE: 30.0 seconds: timeout;
:Hello>
TRACE: unxspawn:
TRACE: Type 'bash /sas09/SASFoundation/9.3/sas -dmr -comamid tcp -device grlink -noterminal
-nosyntaxcheck' lf;
TRACE: Waitfor 'SESSION ESTABLISHED',
TRACE: 90.0 seconds: nosas;
Goodbye

TRACE: nosas:
TRACE: Log 'ERROR: Did not get SAS software startup messages.';
ERROR: Did not get SAS software startup messages.
TRACE: Abort;
NOTE: End of script file trace.
ERROR: A communication subsystem partner link setup request failure has occurred.
ERROR: Communication script processing aborted.
ERROR: Remote signon to MYNODE canceled.

Unixauto is attached if you want to have a look at it. 

I have tried the command directly on Linux Command line and I am getting the mesage "Session Established" but white remote submitting, It says that CANNOT START THE REMOTE PROCESS. 

Hope this would help in finding a solution. 

anja
SAS Employee

Hi,

what port are you using? Has something changed there?

Can other users/clients connect to that server?

The error messages you are seeing usually indicate that the port is not open,

the user ID is not valid, or the script has been "relocated"/something has changed in the script.

This is not the case here as you mentioned, so I am curious if there are other users

experience the same problem?

To make sure you can resolve this quickly, contacting Tech Sup might be the best next step.

Am of course happy to continue working with you here, Tech Sup is just more troubleshooting savvy than I am 🙂

Thanks

Anja

bahadur26
Fluorite | Level 6
All other users are facing the same issue. That's why I am thinking that there is something which is wrong on the server side or the port.
I contacted Tech Sup and they are working on it.
anja
SAS Employee

Perfect.

Maybe you could share the solution, I'd be interested what the problem is/was.

Best

Anja

bahadur26
Fluorite | Level 6

Finally after more than a month of looking for errors, we figured out the probelm in our case and now able to remote login via PC SAS. 

The problem was with the three files named elssrv, sasauth and sasperm in the SAS Install directory which should have 6755 (-rwsr) permission but somehow it was set to 755. We changed it to 6755 and the problem is resolved (You will have to ask for administrator who has root permissions to change). 

Thank you all for the support. There may be multiple reasons for not being able to remote login, the above is only one of many. 

Abhishek Singh 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why are you calling bash instead of calling sas directly?

-nosyntaxcheck' lf;

What happens if you just log onto the unix server yourself and issue that command? Do you get an error message? What if you remove the extraneous "bash" from the beginning of the command?

bahadur26
Fluorite | Level 6

@Tom

When I login to Unix Server and issue the command, I get the message that "SESSION ESTABLISHED"
I have tried the same command with BASH, WITHOUT BASH and by CONNECT.BASH (Startup profile method).

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

How long did it take to launch SAS when started from terminal?  Perhaps 90 second time out is too short?

Also it looks like you are going down the Unix Spawner section of the signon script.  Perhaps that means that your profile hasn't run or something else is different.  

Perhaps you should create a script like the one in the comments of the script.  Create a text file with something like this in it.

#!/bin/ksh
. ~/.profile
/sas09/SASFoundation/9.3/sas -dmr -comamid tcp -device grlink -noterminal -nosyntaxcheck

Set the execute bit on the file and than change the SAS signon script to call the new command you created instead of trying to call SAS directly.

bahadur26
Fluorite | Level 6

@Tom

When I launch SAS from terminal, it takes less than 5 seconds to launch a session so I believe that 90 seconds timeout is sufficient. 

I think when someone enters a right pair of username and password then it returns the Hello> and the control goes to Unix Spawner section.

I have tried saving the profile into a connect.bash file and then addressing the file rather then launching the SAS but the result is same. 

Let me reiterate that I am able to launch a SAS session from PC SAS if I am connecting to Test Server but this error comes only if I am connecting to Prod. 

If I change the server name in the signon script then everything goes smooth. 

I am really not sure whats wrong here and I really appreciate your minute inspection and suggestion. 

Thanks, 

Abhishek 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I would have your systems team confirm that the two machines are actually similar.  For example is SAS even on the production machine? Is it in the same place? Is SAS/Connect licensed on that machine? Installed? Are the search paths appropriate for SAS to work? etc.

If that doesn't work then open a ticket with SAS support.  Ideally your local support group should know how to do this, but generally they do not know enough about how SAS works to debug all issues that can happen.  SAS support should be able to ask the right questions to help you get it working.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation