BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Srinivaskan
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a solution to schedule(Windows Environment) the backups via SAS Backup Manager.I checked all the configuration Settings and Looks fine to me. We have 3 Tier(1 Meta, 1 compute and 1 Mid-Tier) Environments. From SAS SMC, backups are scheduled and it is working fine but the Problem when we try to schedule or manually run start backup from SAS Backup Manager it is failing with Status 999 and the error is C:\SAS\Config\Lev1/Backup\backupserver.log. I dont know where this '/' (backslash) is coming from. even I have checked backupserver.ini which is configured on mid-Tier Server and Looks good to me. I have observerd "Vault" and "dropzone" Folders are empty and do we have Need to create "results", "vault" and "dropzone" Folders on metadata and Compute Servers also? In SMC, SAS Deployment backup and recoverytool 9.4 advanced Settings, sasbackkupevm.configured.Hosts "metadata" and "midtier" Servers are including with config path..do we Need to Keep both host names?

I'm happy to share more Details if required..let me know anything Need to be configured to find the solution for this issue.

8 REPLIES 8
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Srinivaskan,

I would not worry about that slash/backslash. OS will pick up correctly. If you try to change any of your paths and change a backslash to slash, you will see it still brings you to the right path.

I would not worry either about vault and dropzone not being created, because they are created the first time the backup runs successfully, you do not need to create them manually...

That Status 999 however it is not very clear. I would check in detail your logs, trying to get additional details.

99% of the answers are usually in the logs, your need to locate it/them, read them, and if still no enough information, you would need to increase the info level of some logs (error - warn - info - debug - trace).

Srinivaskan
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for the quick reply. Even i thought the same on the backslash. I checked on the logs and ist not clear. but i can say if i remove metadata Server Name from sasbacksvm.configured.Hosts (SAS Backup Deployment and Recovery tool 9.4 SAS SMC Settings), it is throwing different error with Status code 672 like below

ERROR [sasadm] com.sas.svcs.backup.aop.ErrorLoggingAspect -  Error Start|||  <BackupErrors><BackupError><BackupErrorEntry><errorHeader><errorCode>672</errorCode><errorImpact>None of the backup operations will be able to complete except sas-list-schedule.</errorImpact><errorClassification>ERROR</errorClassification><errorName>ERROR_CODE_BACKUP_SERVER_CONFIGURATION_FAILURE</errorName><errorCategory>GENERAL</errorCategory><errorSummary>The backup server configuration failed.

><![CDATA[Failed to configure backup server on host: < Metadata Server Name>

I cant give Server names and full log path due to restrictions but i can say it is failing on metadata Server from what i observed from above..

let me know if anything you Need more

Srinivaskan
Fluorite | Level 6

can anyone help or guide me..waiting for the response

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Srinivaskan,

my current feeling is that your new error is directly caused by your modification, I would change that config file to its original status and continue trying to understand how your initial error was caused. 

Also, to troubleshoot the Deployment Backup and Recovery tool:

- instead of the web application, I would use the command line option, with verbose parameter.

- I would read the SASDeploymentBackup log on mid tier and the output generated by the verbose. And the log of the local Backup tools.

- Do you have the SAS Deployment Agents up and running? No errors in their logs?

- Probably your Windows Events Log might say something interesting as well

- As mentioned, if necessary, I would increase the level of the logs. But I think you took no action there. 

- After each change,specially if they are manual changes, and depending on the changes you do, it is possible you might need to restart the SASServer1_1, so the Deployment Backup tool picks up the changes.

I see you seek for help, but I recommend you to help as well to whom tries to help you, adding more information, taking those steps, etc.

If this path does not help you, I would definetely try to reach the great SAS Technical Support team and they will work with you on looking for a solution, wven with a remote session, if it is ultimately required.

Best regards,

Juan

Srinivaskan
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, SAS Deployment Agents are up and running in all the enviorments(Meta, Mid and Compute Servers). I didn't find any Errors in the log.

What I observed from the logs, Schedule backups via SAS Backup Mananger never worked whereas via SAS SMC, the daily schedule backups are working fine. I have increased log files in Detail and i can only find the error code i.e, Status 672 ><![CDATA[Failed to configure backup server on host

FYI...I have not changed any configuration files, even though if i Change it for testing purpose, I'm keeping it back to the origional.

I can see, Backupserver.ini and backupserer.dat are configured(C:\SAS\Config\Lev1\Backup) only on Mid-Tier Server. Are they Need on Metadata Servers?

on Metadata, I see only C:\SAS\Config\Lev1\SASMeta\MetadataServer\Backups Folder and the backups which are scheduling via SMC are backing up in this Location. I dont find the path " C:\SAS\Config\Lev1\Backup" on metadata Server. do i Need to create backup, vault, dropzone, results, logs Folder under "backup" as like Mid-Tier Server?

sathya66
Barite | Level 11

@Srinivaskan ,Have you got any solution for this. we are getting the same issue but in Linux.

AnandVyas
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @Srinivaskan 

The backup path should be configured under the properties for SAS Deployment and Backup tool in SMC. Could you go to SMC -> SAS Application infra and check for this entry? Right click and look under properties -> advanced properties.

Is the path rightly configured there? or is there a backslash there as well?

sathya66
Barite | Level 11

All,

I resolved this as our backup location was pointing to wrong location where SAS doesn't has write access to it .I changed the backup location and worked fine.

Thanks,

SS

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation