BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
darwinwalters
Fluorite | Level 6

We're currently running one SAS Mid Tier Server (Server1_1) on a Windows instance.  Users are accessing web applications through a reverse proxy set up with the following guide: https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=bimtag&docsetTarget=p0sxhuco18v167n13dsmnrfqv7yy.htm&docsetV...

This setup was running for a few weeks until recently where users were getting a 502 response.  I've tried the following with no success: 

• Resetting the Web Application Server through Windows Services
  • Resetting the Web Application Server by running \<SAS Config Dir>\Lev1\Web\Scripts\AppServer\appsrvconfig.cmd restart (also stop and start)
  • Restarting the Windows Instance
  • clearing the logs, temp, and work\Catalina\localhost in the <SAS Config Dir>\Lev1\Web\WebAppServer\SASServer1_1 directory

looking at the server logs in SASServer1_1\logs, this is the only line I see when I try to start the Web Application Server Service.  There are no other errors

Web Application Server Does Not Start 

2020-04-21 21:45:08,236 INFO  (WrapperSimpleAppMain) [org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina] Initialization processed in 11023 ms

Previously when I've successfully reset the Web Application Server, I've seen this as the output, followed with all of our web applications deploying:

Web Application Server Works

2020-03-25 20:38:24,261 INFO  (WrapperSimpleAppMain) [org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService] Starting service [Catalina]
2020-03-25 20:38:24,261 INFO  (WrapperSimpleAppMain) [org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine] Starting Servlet Engine: Pivotal tc Runtime 3.2.11.RELEASE/8.5.32.A.RELEASE

I'm also seeing this error under the wrapper file in Server1_1\logs:

ERROR  | wrapper  | <TIMESTAMP> | The SAS [Config-Lev1] SASServer1_1 - WebAppServer service is already running with status: RUNNING

However, I've verified that the Web Application Server service is not running before trying to start.  Doing a netstat to see if anything is running on 8080 shows that nothing is running.  I'm not sure if that means that something is lingering from an improper shutdown.

Has anyone encountered this issue before?  Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi @darwinwalters 

What do you see under the server.log file as soon as you start the service? /SAS-configuration-directory\Lev1\Web\WebAppServer\SASServer1_1\logs\server.log

Are all the depending services started and running? https://support.sas.com/kb/52/100.html

Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14
When services are started from the command line, in case of a failure, typically there will be an error message.
This helps in diagnosing the issue.
Can you try this approach

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation