BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tpr
Obsidian | Level 7 tpr
Obsidian | Level 7

I have SAS 9.4 installed on a Windows 2008 R2 terminal server, and it's configured to use the SAS private JRE. When I run this ODS test code, I get the output and graph as expected:

title 'Comparing Group Means';

data Scores;
   input Gender $ Score @@;
   datalines;
f 75  f 76  f 80  f 77  f 80  f 77  f 73
m 82  m 80  m 85  m 85  m 78  m 87  m 82
;

ods html body='ttest.htm' style=HTMLBlue;

proc ttest;
   class Gender;
   var Score;
run;

ods html close;

However, if I run the java example code below, I get prompted to install the latest java version (currently jre 8u73).

filename odsout "sales.htm";

/* Close the current ODS HTML destination. */
ods html close;

data sales;
   length Region $ 4 State $ 2;
   format Sales dollar8.;
   input Region State Sales Year Qtr;
   datalines;
West CA 13636 1999 1
West OR 18988 1999 1
West CA 14523 1999 2
West OR 18988 1999 2
East MA 18038 1999 1
East NC 13611 1999 1
East MA 11084 1999 2
East NC 19660 1999 2
West CA 12536 1998 1
West OR 17888 1998 1
West CA 15623 1998 2
West OR 17963 1998 2
East NC 17638 1998 1
East MA 12811 1998 1
East NC 12184 1998 2
East MA 12760 1998 2
;
goptions reset=all border device=java;

ods html file=odsout style=listing;

title "Company Sales, Mid Year";

proc gchart data=sales;
   vbar3d region / sumvar=sales
   group=year subgroup=state;
run; quit;

ods html close;
ods html;

Java code found here:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/grapaxug/67223/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n01tdxygiq7h9in1w...

I'm an administrator, not a programmer (Dammit, Jim), so I found this while helping someone troubleshoot one of her sas programs with java. I also may not fully understand the relationship between ODS and Java, so maybe what's happening is perfectly normal.

I can install the newer java and update it almost every month like I do with my 9.3 installations, but I was really hoping to stick with the included version. Is there any way to make a program with java code like the example use the included version of java?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

I believe that the computer needs a Java plug-in over and above the JRE.

Anyone viewing the file would need to have the plug-in.

From http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/grapaxug/67223/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1eaexgwdb5om3n1l...

Note: To run an applet, your users must be able access the appropriate Java archive files. Two archives are referenced by default: one is the Java plug-in from Oracle, and the other is the SAS Java archive.
In the HTML output file, the location of the Java plug-in from Oracle is specified in the CODEBASE attribute of the OBJECT tag. If you need to change this default value, then use the ATTRIBUTES= option of the ODS statement, as described in Specifying Parameters and Attributes for Java and ActiveX. On Windows systems, the user is prompted to install the plug-in if it is not already installed. On other systems, the plug-in can be installed from the SAS Third-Party Software Requirements web page.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

I believe that the computer needs a Java plug-in over and above the JRE.

Anyone viewing the file would need to have the plug-in.

From http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/grapaxug/67223/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1eaexgwdb5om3n1l...

Note: To run an applet, your users must be able access the appropriate Java archive files. Two archives are referenced by default: one is the Java plug-in from Oracle, and the other is the SAS Java archive.
In the HTML output file, the location of the Java plug-in from Oracle is specified in the CODEBASE attribute of the OBJECT tag. If you need to change this default value, then use the ATTRIBUTES= option of the ODS statement, as described in Specifying Parameters and Attributes for Java and ActiveX. On Windows systems, the user is prompted to install the plug-in if it is not already installed. On other systems, the plug-in can be installed from the SAS Third-Party Software Requirements web page.
tpr
Obsidian | Level 7 tpr
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks. I'll go ahead and install Oracle JRE and configure SAS to use it. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if Oracle would make java updates default to updating in the same folder like it used to. Sometimes I get the option of picking the install folder during the installation, sometimes I don't.

/gripe

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation