BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
danewt
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello All, I've been perusing the SAS Environment Manager User's Guide to see what more I might be able to do with it. Something we do at the Unix command line constantly is monitor the remaining space in the directory defined by the WORK system option in sasv9.cfg. Monitoring this in Env. Manager sounded promising but it looks like this can only be done if SASWORK is set to /tmp.

The User's Guide gives an example of setting up a custom metric viewer portlet on the Env Manager dashboard, "Adding a SASWork Disk Space Metric Viewer." This metric is on the compute server SAS Home Directory 9.4, service SAS Work Directory. The attached screenshot shows the resource page in Env Manager. On our Linux installation, we've created a mount point /saswork and designated 2GB disk space to this mount point. If you look at the screenshot, you'll see that "SAS Work Directory" is defined as /tmp and I found under Tools Menu-Configure Service that the only configurable property is a shared property, "directory." I changed this property value from /tmp to /saswork but /tmp continues to be what is monitored. The shared property does not seem to be monitored. 

Does someone know how to change the directory that is monitored so that I can have a useful metric to monitor in Env Manager?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
The Work Directory monitor is generated automatically by autodiscovery, but you can create a new File System monitor for any path like this:

Under Resources -> Platforms click the name of the host with the path you would like to monitor.
Under the Tools Menu, select "New Platform Service"
Give it a meaningful name (i.e. <hostname> - /SASWORK Monitor)
Select FileServer Directory as the Service Type
Click OK
Click to configure the service either in the Tools Menu or by selecting Configuration Properties.
Specify the path to monitor.
Click OK

Evaluating Log Directory Usage
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/evcdc/2.5_M1/evug/n0citq7idlsk04n1cx95vlpzkndw.htm#n024tco8m...
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
The Work Directory monitor is generated automatically by autodiscovery, but you can create a new File System monitor for any path like this:

Under Resources -> Platforms click the name of the host with the path you would like to monitor.
Under the Tools Menu, select "New Platform Service"
Give it a meaningful name (i.e. <hostname> - /SASWORK Monitor)
Select FileServer Directory as the Service Type
Click OK
Click to configure the service either in the Tools Menu or by selecting Configuration Properties.
Specify the path to monitor.
Click OK

Evaluating Log Directory Usage
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/evcdc/2.5_M1/evug/n0citq7idlsk04n1cx95vlpzkndw.htm#n024tco8m...
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
danewt
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks very much, Greg. This was just what I was looking for.

- Dan

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation