BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jflatto
Obsidian | Level 7

We have been using SAS OnDemand up until this point but are finally getting a new lab and purchasing SAS and Enterprise Miner for a local install. I understand that the install will be a client-server approach but I am being asked if the clients need to be desktop machines, hardwired using Ethernet connecting to the server.  My understanding is that we should be able to install the client software on laptops, including student laptops and still access the server.  For install of SAS and Enterprise Miner on the student laptops, I know we would have the students sign a separate SAS license for home use but that is a “paper issue”, not a technical issue.  Man Happy

Thus, as we specify our lab configuration, I am hoping to not need desktop computers installed in the labs but can use school laptops or student laptops as long as the client software is configured correctly.

Can anyone provide any insight on this please.

Thanks.

Jerry

9 REPLIES 9
Reeza
Super User

Hi,

I moved your post to the admin forum, as it more relates to the installation and set up of SAS. 

I'm not an expert in this space by far, but from what I know, SAS can be installed on a server and a user can access it via SAS Studio on their own computer and browser, usually as long as you're on the same intranet connection. Otherwise you need a different way to verify user ID's and that may require sign in, which you probably want someone else to comment on. 

EM unfortunately has required a client side install the last time I worked with it, but it's been a few years now. 

Some gotcha's or things to test - students who have laptops that don't have English as the main language, access from students homes and such and/or does it work on a MacBook/Unix laptop - specifically SAS EM which may require the client side installation. 

jflatto
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for moving the post to the correct forum.  

Thanks for the input.  Regardless of whether we use a desktop clients or laptops, we would have the same EM install.  I would really like the students to be able to work off campus, particularly my graduate students.  Right now, I am more just trying to ensure that I do not need hardwired desktop computers and can use laptops, whether university or students to access Enterprise Miner or Guide as well as SAS Studio.

Reeza
Super User

I probably wouldn't recommend supporting both EG and Studio, they're pretty interchangeable, especially for school work projects. 

SAS Studio is where EG is headed anyways. EG does require a client side installation as well unfortunately, you didn't mention EG in your initial post so I didn't comment on it either.

MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

With regards to SAS Studio and EG future... I'd suggest looking at the post @AmyP_sas wrote and her SAS Global Forum paper. I'm sure she would be keen to get your thoughts and feedback https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/The-Future-of-SAS-Enterprise-Guide-and-SAS-St...

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
jflatto
Obsidian | Level 7

To be honest, one of things I want to look at this summer is SAS studio versus EG.  I have not used EG at all but plan to check it out.  Most of my efforts has been with EM.  Thanks for the feedback.

Jerry

Galen
Obsidian | Level 7

Hey Jerry,

Could you clarify a point?  Are you planning to install an enterprise SAS instance with metadata server that the students will connect to then install the clients on the students laptops to have them connect to that environment or are you planning to install SAS Foundation, EG and EM locally on every laptop as well as the lab?  IIRC, EM will let you install a local thick client that can be used locally as well as let students log into an enterprise installation.  Local installs would require that SAS be installed on each laptop.  You will want to be sure your license allows you to distribute Foundation that way.  The local clients are only supported on Windows (except possibly Studio).

=G=

jflatto
Obsidian | Level 7

My preference based on years of dealing with both undergrads and grads, is to make the install on the clients as simple as possible and thus a thinner client would be preferred, preferably allowing student access from off-campus.  Requiring the students to be on campus would be an issue. 

I am also just wanting to make sure that I am not limited to a single physical lab with desktop computers but can use laptops connected via wireless even if I have to use VPN for off-campus use.

Reeza
Super User

It sounds like you want to set up a service for students similar to the WRDS, if you're also a Post Secondary Institution perhaps they'd be willing to discuss their set up with you.

https://wrds-web.wharton.upenn.edu/wrds/ 

jflatto
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks.  I am actually also talking to Sam Walton School of Business trying to understand the requirements.  

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation