BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ANLYNG
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi all,

We runs SAS 9.4 M6 server installation on LINUX. The server installation was hotfixed last month by SAS Institute.

I was wondering if it is needed to hotfix the SAS clients (SMC, SAS DI, Enterprise Guide) as well ? 

We are planning to go to SAS 9.4 M8 later this year (octocber/november) and it could be nice if we could wait with the update of the clients. The clients was latest hotfixed October 2021.

As far I know it is possible to run with newer (software release) clients on an older (software release) server. But it needs to be very controlled when we moved to M8 release from M6.

Thanks for all inputs and ideas. Look forward to hear from you.

Regards,

Ann

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

In my experience there is no problem using SAS clients that don't have the same fixes as the SAS servers they are connecting to. In some cases you can even run clients with different maintenance levels. EG is not tied to server maintenance releases and can be upgraded independently via its "Check for upgrades" Help menu option. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

In my experience there is no problem using SAS clients that don't have the same fixes as the SAS servers they are connecting to. In some cases you can even run clients with different maintenance levels. EG is not tied to server maintenance releases and can be upgraded independently via its "Check for upgrades" Help menu option. 

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
I have never applied Hot Fixes for clients. Hot Fixes are for server side components only. Unless there is a major change and client has an upgraded version which is only compatible with a selected server version, you can still use the old clients without any issue.
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello @ANLYNG 
As you are planning to move to SAS 9.4M8 later, that would give the opportunity to upgrade the clients too.
Therefore hot fix to present clients can be deferred unless there is some specific requirement/issue.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation