BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
knowlei
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I am using Windows 10 and SAS 9.4.

SAS is running on my c: drive, but I would like the WORK directory to be on my d: drive.

How do I accomplish this?

Thank you and sincere regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @knowlei,

I believe your dash sign (-WORK) is not the right one. I would just type it with your keyboard instead of copying and pasting it.

Once you are ready, save the config file and re-start your SAS session.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
AndrewHowell

There's lots of different ways, depending on what you allowed to re-configure. (Some work sites lock down config files on workstations.)

Ideally, look for the sasv9.cfg file in (or under) your $SASHOME folder - this will have an option something like

-WORK "C:\Temp"

which you can change.

Useful resources:

knowlei
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for trying.

When I change the .cfg file as you have suggested I get an error message, even when I point to a valid directory on my d: drive.  I tried the following within the sasv9.cfg file by replacing the existing option for -WORK:

–WORK "d:\sas temporary files"

ERROR: Unrecognized SAS option name d:\sas temporary files

ERROR: Unrecognized SAS option name -WORK

ERROR: (SASXKRN): KERNEL INITIALIZATION RESOURCE FAILED

ERROR: Unable to initialize the SAS Kernel

In the existing sasv9.cfg file the option for -WORK falls below a line that states "DO NOT EDIT BELOW THIS LINE" .  The -WORK option reads as follows:

-WORK "!TEMP\SAS Temporary Files" 

This results in the WORK library being allocated to my puny c: drive rather than my nice d: drive.

AndrewHowell

(config.sas - version 6? Is this what is now sasv9.cfg? I came in at v8.2..)

Still depends on whether or not the user can modify config files or if it's locked down.

ballardw
Super User

@AndrewHowell wrote:

(config.sas - version 6? Is this what is now sasv9.cfg? I came in at v8.2..)

Still depends on whether or not the user can modify config files or if it's locked down.

With Windows you can make a new program Icon and modify the parameters to point to your custom sasv9.cfg.

Yes, this means that your custom config may not be used when some of the right-click and select options are chosen but works for most things.

knowlei
Fluorite | Level 6
That is correct. config.sas is replaced with sasv9.cfg in version 9.4.
knowlei
Fluorite | Level 6
You are absolutely correct. And based on my attempts (see my post re: error messages above) it appears that the sasv9.cfg file is not easy to tinker with.
knowlei
Fluorite | Level 6
Sadly it didn't work. see my post above regarding modify sasv9.cfg file error messages...
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @knowlei,

I believe your dash sign (-WORK) is not the right one. I would just type it with your keyboard instead of copying and pasting it.

Once you are ready, save the config file and re-start your SAS session.

ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I would't be so drastic, *.docx is still a universal format that remain to be challenged. Another workaround is to disable some auto-correct features in Word like double-dash, upper case in 1st word etc. Or even use the [Ctrl+Z] shortcut to cancel the unwanted corrections on the fly.
SSmanjunath
Calcite | Level 5
Hello @AndrewHowell. We are using SAS EG 9.4 on windows server 2012 r2 platform.
Getting error: the launch of the server process failed with an unknow status code.

Can any one give proper solution for this issue. (Its not related to hardware issue?

Thanku you
Manjuanth
Tcs
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@SSmanjunath - welcome to the SAS Community. To give better visibility to your problem you should create a new post and include a screenshot of the EG connection error details.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 9 in conversation