BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rc7782
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I'm new to the role of SAS Administrator and have been trying to change the email address for alerts from the metadata server backup.

I've amended the email address in the omaconfig.xml file and restarted all the services.

When I go into Management Console>MetaData Manager>Server Backup and run the server backup utility it runs ok but no email is delivered.

If I Right Click on Active Server under Metadata Manager and go into the properties and try the 'Send Test Message' option I get the error:

An alert e-mail test message could not be sent because "An attempt to send an ALERT EMAIL to 'address@company.com' has resulted in 'ERROR: The connection was refused'"

I've confirmed the email address is correct and the process worked previously with the old email address that is no longer valid. I've tried to do some digging online but haven't found anything that helps.

Is there something else I need to amend when changing this email address?

Thanks for any assistance

Richard

3 REPLIES 3
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

It sounds like there is something wrong with the email config for the SAS Metadata Server. Talk your your email server admin about the settings you should be using: SMTP server hostname, port, any TLS and authentication requirements etc.

I would check the following:

• correct hostname
  • correct port number
  • any firewall config that is preventing your SAS metadata server from connecting to the SMTP server.
  • whether the SMTP server supports unauthenticated connections and if not check the user id and password you are using for SMTP authentication.

For more information on the various configuration options available look at the Reference Information for omaconfig.xml section of the SAS 9.4 Intelligence Platform: System Administration Guide.

anja
SAS Employee

Hi,

what version of SAS are you running?

Thanks

Anja

rc7782
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the replies

Version is SAS 9.4M2 on Red Hat Unix 6.4

I'm also going to check all of the other config as suggested. I thought I could just change the email address as I know the previous address worked. However that was PROD and I'm testing this change in DEV first. I don't know if the email has ever worked in DEV so it makes sense to make sure that all the other config, SMTP details and passwords are correct.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation