BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jep
Obsidian | Level 7 Jep
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

Is there a way to apply weights when using the npar1way procedure? I have continuous variables that I am trying to compare the means but some of the variables are not normally distributed and as a results will need to use a nonparametric test. I know the two sample t-test supports the use of the weight statement but how can I apply weights using the npar1way procedure?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You can use the FREQ command in PROC NPAR1WAY.

If that's not what you need, then please explain why weights are needed.

--
Paige Miller
Jep
Obsidian | Level 7 Jep
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your reply. I have several facilities grouped into two types and some of the facilities have high volumes while others have low volumes. I am trying to compare performance metrics between these two types of facilities and I want to weigh them based on volume per facility.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Jep wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I have several facilities grouped into two types and some of the facilities have high volumes while others have low volumes. I am trying to compare performance metrics between these two types of facilities and I want to weigh them based on volume per facility.

Repeating my earlier comment, you can use the FREQ statement in PROC NPAR1WAY. If you don't think this is what you want, then explain further why it is not what you want, and explain what you do want.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

NPAR1WAY can use a variable on the FREQ statement if that variable represents a number of occurrences (count of cases with like properties for example). If the variable is not an integer the non-integer portion is truncated to integer.

What exactly makes you think that you need Npar1way for your means? Non-normal distributions tend to have group means that look normal(ish) given groups of more than 30 or so observations.

Jep
Obsidian | Level 7 Jep
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your reply. I have less than 30 observations and the data is highly skewed and I though performing a t-test might not give accurate results.

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

It sounds like you should enter the data in terms of some standardized rate, such as

Number of defects per 1000 items

or

Kilograms of waste per 100 workers.

You use the DATA step to convert from raw quantities to rates.

You can then use NPAR1WAY or some other procedure to compare the rates.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation