BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SJK_KOR
Calcite | Level 5

The Y variable is accumulated data.

I am trying to use differencing method using PROC PANEL or PROC HPPANEL procedure to analyse annually panel data by one-way random effect model.

I found out that differencing method can be used by PROC ARIMA. However, i would like to use PANEL or HPPANEL procedure.

4 REPLIES 4
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

I don't know what your MODEL statement looks like, but the FDONE option for the model statement does a one-way fixed effects fit to the differences and FDONETIME does a one-way fixed effects fit to the differences in time.  These are available in PANEL but not HPPANEL, so far as I can tell.

SteveDenham

SJK_KOR
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for reply!

I was using RANONE and WK option to use One-way random effect.

Are FDONE or FDONETIME for one-way random effect? My model is cross sectional time series with one-way random effect.

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

It doesn't appear that this applies to a one-way random effects model.

However, I think you can get what you want in a 3 step process.  PANEL supports a variety of LAG functions.  What about:

Run PROC PANEL with the appropriate LAG and output the dataset.  No MODEL statement in this run.

In a DATA step, calculate the differenced values using the original value and the lagged value in this output dataset.

Run PROC PANEL with a RANONE option for the MODEL statement on the differenced values.

Now, I have never done this, so take it with a great big shovel of salt.  However, the LAG statement in PROC PANEL says that it is capable of handling panel data correctly.  It would then be a matter of selecting the right version of the LAG statement to handle missing values.

SteveDenham

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation