BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sas_question123
Calcite | Level 5

I have a project in which I have 60-70 samples.

Outcome = binary (positive or negative case)
Exposure = % of the time participants followed new guidelines (0-100%)
Question - would it be correct to use logistic regression to analyze this?
I am guessing a sample size of 60 or 70 is too small.

What would be the best way to calculate the sample size? Difficult to find examples where the predictor is continuous and outcome is binary.
Also generally, how would the proportion of positive cases affect the analysis? I don't expect there'll be much, if any, but would like to know how to calculate the sample size in both scenarios (regular number of positive cases and low number of positive cases). Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Use the LOGISTIC statement in PROC POWER.

sas_question123
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you! I'm very new to power/sample size calculations. I pasted my code below. If I expect the predictor to be really skewed to the left, would exponential be a good vardist to choose?

proc power ;
logistic
vardist ("predictor") = exponential ()
testpredictor ="predictor"
power = 0.8
ntotal=.;
run ;
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Exponential and gamma are both reasonable distributions for positively valued and right skewed data

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation