BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ehmst3
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

The inclusion of solution option in random statement in proc mixed affects the SEs of the fixed effects, which is very surprising to me. Can anyone provide insight?

General code:

proc mixed data=data;
class sub;
model AVAL = BL TIME TIMEK /solution cl ddfm=KR;
random int time timek / subject=sub type=un;

run;

Depending on whether solution option is included in random statement, fixed effects results (SEs) are different. Effect is small, but I don't see how explicit estimation of subject specific random effects (EBLUP) would change the estimation of fixed effect variance. In the parameterization in SAS help, this would appear to affect the estimate of V. 

ehmst3_1-1602530235766.png

3 REPLIES 3
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Good question.  I have a hunch you will need to take this up with Tech Support.  When you get an answer, please post it here.  This is the kind of unexpected behavior that some of us need to consider.

SteveDenham

ehmst3
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the suggestion. I have reached out to Tech Support and I will post the response.

lsandell
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi there, did you ever receive an answer from Tech Support? I had the same question, and don't want to post again if you already found the solution. Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation