BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Barney1998
Obsidian | Level 7

Good morning everyone,
I need to analyze a questionnaire, essentially revisiting a study after some years.

My issue is that all variables are on a Likert scale. The categories from which I need to draw conclusions have been predefined. By that, I mean I've been told that certain questions correspond to a person's value, others to their knowledge, etc. The purpose of the research is to examine how subpopulations I have—such as men/women, smokers/non-smokers—differ.

Initially, I thought of conducting an explanatory factor analysis to get scores for these categories, but I couldn't get the desired categories the way I wanted. So, I thought of doing the following: Is it correct to conduct PCA separately for both categories to obtain the desired scores and proceed with the analysis?

Thank you very much for your time.

6 REPLIES 6
Ksharp
Super User
Check PROC PRINQUAL and its examples in DOC .
Barney1998
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for answering!
Definitely, this article does not solve my problem. The question was if can procced via PCA as I told above.

Burney

Ksharp
Super User

Answer is Yes.

Did you check PROC PRINQUAL and its examples ?

Ksharp_0-1713345903175.png

Ksharp
Super User
Another way is using PROC CORRESP,but it is more suited to non-Likert scale.
Check its example .
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

So, I thought of doing the following: Is it correct to conduct PCA separately for both categories to obtain the desired scores and proceed with the analysis?

First, I agree with the advice from @Ksharp 

If I was to do PCA (or PRINQUAL or CORRESP) separately for both categories to see how the categories differed, I would want to look at the loadings, not the scores, to determine differences between the groups.

Another possibility (and one I recommend here) is to fit one PCA (or PRINQUAL or CORRESP) model to the entire data, then plot the scores (not the loadings) and see if the groups overlap or are separated. To determine what variables are associated with the "separation", you can then use Contribution Plots (for example, as in PROC MVPDIAGNOSE), see Miller, P., Swanson, R. E., and Heckler, C. H. E. (1998). “Contribution Plots: A Missing Link in Multivariate Quality Control.” Applied Mathematics and Computer Science 8:775–792. By the way, that first author is me.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation