BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Eileen18
Calcite | Level 5

Hi! I am using proc factor to run a principle components analysis (to note: I went with this procedure over princomp bc I wanted more of the output...if i need to switch to princomp then I will!)

Here is my question: based on the SAS documentation below, I am confused whether proc factor produces principle component scores (discussion accompanying 33.1.8) or if one has to use proc princomp to have the principle component scores (discussion accompanying 33.1.19).  

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/63347/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_factor_sect...

Again, per this documentation, it seems that the factor1 generated automatically by proc factor is not equivalent to principle component scores (33.1.8) but I'm confused as this seems to be the correct equation.  Caution against using factor1 if one is wanting to use the components in a subsequent regression model? or is it correct? 

thank you SO much for the support! 

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenKuhfeld
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

When in doubt, ask the procedures themselves.  These two analyses produce the same scores.

proc factor data=sashelp.iris out=f nfactors=4 prefix=Prin; run;

proc princomp data=sashelp.iris out=p n=4 std; run;

proc compare error note briefsummary criterion=1e-10
   data=f(keep=prin: label='') compare=p(keep=prin: label='') method=relative(1);
run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Again, per this documentation, it seems that the factor1 generated automatically by proc factor is not equivalent to principle [sic] component scores (33.1.8) 

That link comes to the conclusion that is the opposite of your conclusion. It says: "As you can see, these standardized scoring coefficients are essentially the same as those obtained from PROC PRINCOMP, as shown in Output 33.1.9. This example shows that principal component analyses by PROC FACTOR and PROC PRINCOMP are indeed equivalent."

It also says: "If a principal component analysis of the data is all you need in a particular application, there is no reason to use PROC FACTOR instead of PROC PRINCOMP."

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation