BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Matt_Southward
Calcite | Level 5

I'm curious if anyone has thoughts about how to set up a power simulation. I have a sample of 70 people who have completed 12 sessions of therapy, which consists of 5 different skill modules delivered in a random order. With proc mixed, I used an indicator variable representing the skill modules as a predictor of continuous depression symptoms at each session. The Type 3 test of fixed effects for the indicator variable was significant - specifically, depression was significantly higher during one module compared to the others. I'm not sure, though, how to set up a simulation with a multicategorical predictor since SAS seems to calculate the Type 3 tests automatically and separately from the modeling input. For reference, I'm most familiar with Lane and Hennes' power code, which covers continuous and binary predictors but not categorical ones: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/suppl/10.1177/0265407517710342

2 REPLIES 2
Ksharp
Super User

I remembered @Rick_SAS  wrote a blog about this topic before .

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The Lane and Hennes paper appears to be behind a paywayll, so cannot access.

Show your PROC MIXED code. It is not clear how you are handling the longitudinal aspect of the design. Also, sample data is always appreciated.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation