BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

May you please help me understand how UN(1) and UN differ? I looked at the book "SAS for Mixed Models, 2nd Edition, by R. Littell et al. (SAS Press)" but still I do not see the difference.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Look at the table of covariance structures in the PROC MIXED documentation.

It tells you that UN is an unstructured (t x t) matrix, which (b/c of symmetry) has t(t+1)/ parameters.

In contrast, UN(q) is a banded structure that is zero except for cells (i,j) such that |i-j|<q. When q=1, that means UN(1) is diagonal. It has t parameters.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Look at the table of covariance structures in the PROC MIXED documentation.

It tells you that UN is an unstructured (t x t) matrix, which (b/c of symmetry) has t(t+1)/ parameters.

In contrast, UN(q) is a banded structure that is zero except for cells (i,j) such that |i-j|<q. When q=1, that means UN(1) is diagonal. It has t parameters.

Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you, Rick_SAS!

Is t the number of times we measured the outcome variable? And for TYPE=UN we have t(t-1) parameters because of symmetry?

Thanks!

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Yes. For a balanced design, t is the number of times you measure the outcome for each subject.  

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

@Emma_at_SAS wrote:

(...) And for TYPE=UN we have t(t-1) parameters because of symmetry?

The number of parameters in this case is t(t+1)/2, i.e., t variances on the diagonal of the covariance matrix plus t(t-1)/2 covariances below (and, due to symmetry, the same above) the diagonal. (The "2" in the denominator is somehow not displayed in @Rick_SAS's reply.)

Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you, Rick_SAS and FreelanceReinhard.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation