BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
raheleh22
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, 

I've been using Proc Glimmix to predict the effect of several predictor variables on my outcome where the distribution is negative binomial. for the purpose of model comparision when I run the following code I receive the AIC tests:

proc glimmix data=modelupdated;
class metcat(ref="2") age_new(ref="1") sexnum (ref="2") race(ref="2");
model Rate_12= age_new sexnum race metcat/ dist=nb link=log s;
run;

However when I add the random effect of counties, I do not receive the AIC in fit stati table in the output. 

proc glimmix data=modelupdated1;
class metcat(ref="2") age_new(ref="1") sexnum(ref="2") race(ref="2");
model Rate_12 = age_new sexnum race ave_uninsured metcat / dist=nb link=log s;
random intercept /type=un subject=fips_all_digit_num ;
run;

any thoughts on this and how I can get AIC becuse I need to compare the two different models vs eacg other. 

Thank you, 

1 REPLY 1
jiltao
SAS Super FREQ

PROC GLIMMIX uses the Pseudo-likelihood estimation method to fit the model when there is a random effect, so no AIC is computed because no true likelihood is computed. To get the AIC, you can use a different estimation method, for example, method=quad or method=laplace in the PROC GLIMMIX statement.

Hope this helps,

Jill

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 6 likes
  • 2 in conversation