BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
plf515
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am running SAS 9.4 TS 1M6 on Windows.

In GLIMMIX, I had the following code:

effect splineaccent = spline(accent/naturalcubic details) ;

the results included:

Knots for Spline Effect splineaccentKnot Number Accent123

which, to me, indicates 3 knots at 25, 50 and 75 but also

Basis Details for Spline Effect splineaccentColumn Power Break Knot123

which I am not sure of.  And the solutions for fixed effects showed 3 effects for spline. Are those 0-25, 25-50, 50-75 and an unshown (presumably 0) effect for 75 and up? Or is it the other way round (with the 0 effect for 0-25)? Or something else?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

My article on "Regression with Cubic Splines" contains many references for splines and the EFFECT statement in SAS, including the doc and a SAS Usage Note.

Usage Note 57975: Understanding splines in the EFFECT statement

Doc on Splines and Spline Basis: 

The three fixed effects are the spline basis functions, which you can output by using the OUTDESIGN= option on the PROC GLMSELECT statement, as shown in my article. Pictures of the spline basis functions are in the doc link. The fixed-effect model is in terms of the linear combinations of the spline basis functions.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

My article on "Regression with Cubic Splines" contains many references for splines and the EFFECT statement in SAS, including the doc and a SAS Usage Note.

Usage Note 57975: Understanding splines in the EFFECT statement

Doc on Splines and Spline Basis: 

The three fixed effects are the spline basis functions, which you can output by using the OUTDESIGN= option on the PROC GLMSELECT statement, as shown in my article. Pictures of the spline basis functions are in the doc link. The fixed-effect model is in terms of the linear combinations of the spline basis functions.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation