BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
matari83
Calcite | Level 5

Dear SAS users and technical experts,

I am relatively new to SAS and I am using PROC NLMIXED. I am fairly happy with it but I have a simple question please. I am applying some random effects for a specific problem and I have a number of subjects where I would like to see the estimated random parameters for each subject. In SAS, the default output for the random parameters includes the following:

1- Parameter

2- Estimate.

However, I would like to see the exact parameter value for the random parameter for each subject.

Please advise.

Mohammed.

2 REPLIES 2
SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

Hi Mohammed,

I am not sure what you mean by the parameter value in this context.  With a random effect, the variability due to that term is the value drawn from the distribution that has the hyperparameters that minimize the log likelihood.  If you mean the empirical Bayes factors associated with each subject in your RANDOM statement (i.e. the value that is added to the BLUE for the population to get a BLUP for each subject), add the OUT=<dataset name> option to your RANDOM statement.  If you mean something other than this, please advise.

SteveDenham

matari83
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your response, you have kindly answered my question and it worked perfectly well at my end.

Thank you again.

Mohammed.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation