BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vpalzes
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to run a multinomial logistic regression model in SAS using PROC LOGISTIC and would like to know if it is possible to produce multiple dependent variable group comparisons in the same single model.

I am predicting the odds that an individual is in an alcohol use group (see groups below) with a few predictor variables (e.g., age, gender, race/ethnicity, and whether they have asthma). I am primarily interested in calculating the odds ratio of being in the abstinent group (no alcohol use) in people with asthma versus people without asthma.

Alcohol use group ~ Age + Gender + Race + Asthma

Alcohol use group

0 = abstinent

1 = moderate

2 = excessive

3 = very excessive

4 = hazardous

I use the following code to estimate odds ratios with the abstinent group as my reference group (1 vs 0, 2 vs 0, 3 vs 0, 4 vs 0). However, I want to also make these group comparisons:

1) 0 vs 1

2) 0 vs 2/3/4

3) 1 vs 2

4) 1 vs 3

5) 1 vs 4

proc logistic data=&mydata;
    class female(ref='0')

agegrp(ref='1')

racegrp6(ref='1')

asthma(ref='0')
             / param=ref;
    model alcgrp(ref='0') = female agegrp racegrp6 asthma / link=glogit expb cl;
    estimate "log asthma_1" asthma 1 /exp cl category="1";
    estimate "log asthma_1" asthma 1 /exp cl category="2";

estimate "log asthma_1" asthma 1 /exp cl category="3";

estimate "log asthma_1" asthma 1 /exp cl category="4";
run;

I basically want to change my reference group for each comparison. I don't know how to do this without running multiple models where each one has a different reference group (code in bold above). I also want to group people with excessive drinking or higher into one group for one comparison, so ideally I would not be running two different sets of models (one with a 3-level dependent variable, and one with a 4- or 5-level dependent variable).

These are my primary questions:

Q1) Is there a way to calculate the inverse of an odds ratio and its corresponding 95% confidence interval and p-value using the parameters estimated from a single model in SAS? I could calculate these by hand, but it would be useless for conducting the significance z-test. For example, my model gives me the odds ratio comparing 1 vs 0, but how do I test the inverse of 0 vs 1, without running another model?

Q2) How do I create a contrast for multinomial logistic regression models in SAS where I would be "adding the probability" of being in multiple groups? For example, if I have a 5-level dependent variable, how do I use the parameters and collapse across levels to generate the test I want (0 vs 2/3/4)?

3 REPLIES 3
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Computing a similar, and somewhat more intuitive and useful statistic, is discussed and illustrated in this note. See the second section that discusses comparing probabilities of two response levels.

vpalzes
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your help.

I want to also combine the probabilities of multiple response-level groups for one of my comparisons (e.g., group 0 vs groups 2-4). It seems like the NLMeans macro cannot handle such a contrast for ratios.

I'm also afraid that I'm getting much different OR estimates with this method versus the reference-coding method that I have used previously.

This method:

OR comparing 0 vs 1 = 1.65 (1.52-1.78)

OR comparing 1 vs 2 = 1.08 (1.01-1.14)

OR comparing 1 vs 3 = 1.22 (1.15-1.29)

OR comparing 1 vs 4 = 1.50 (1.33-1.66)

Previous reference-coding method with multiple models (changing the reference group):

OR comparing 0 vs 1 = 1.25 (1.20-1.28)

OR comparing 1 vs 2 = 0.99 (0.93-1.06)

OR comparing 1 vs 3 = 0.99 (0.93-1.05)

OR comparing 1 vs 4 = 1.09 (0.98-1.20)

Here is my code based on the tutorial here:

proc logistic data=&mydata;
    class female agegrp racegrp6 asthma / param=glm;
    model alcgrp = female agegrp racegrp6 asthma / link=glogit;
    lsmeans asthma / e ilink;
    ods output coef=coeffs;
    output out=LogOR xbeta=xb stdxbeta=s;
    store out=logmod;
run;

data cont;
    length label $40;
    infile datalines missover;
    input label k1-k10;
    set=1;
    datalines;
P(dx,0)/P(dx,1)    0  0  0  0  0    1 -1  0  0  0
P(dx,1)/P(dx,2)    0  0  0  0  0    0  1 -1  0  0
P(dx,1)/P(dx,3)    0  0  0  0  0    0  1  0 -1  0
P(dx,1)/P(dx,4)    0  0  0  0  0    0  1  0  0 -1
;

%NLMeans(instore=logmod, coef=coeffs, link=glogit, options=ratio, contrasts=cont, title=Alcohol Group ORs for Patients with Asthma);

NOTE: These contrast lines can only have one 1 and one -1. For example, I cannot do:

P(dx,0)/P(dx,2-4)     0 0 0 0 0     1 0 -0.334 -0.333 -0.333

Otherwise, I recieve this error: 

ERROR: OPTIONS=RATIO requires all contrasts to contain a single 1
for the numerator, a single -1 for the denominator, and
zeros otherwise.
ERROR: The above message is for estimate set 1.
StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

If you want to contrast the 0 and 2-4 levels of response, then you really just want a binary response model. The easiest way would be to create a dichotomized version of your response and fit a binary logistic model to it.  However, if you are determined to do it in the context of the multinomial model, then you can use the NLEstimate macro to estimate a suitable expression for the desired function. Using the schools and instruction styles example in the note I referred to, suppose you want to estimate the relative risk that contrasts the self and team styles vs. the class style in school 1. That is a dichotomization of the response levels like what you want. Writing this in terms of the response probabilities, suppose you want to estimate the relative risk (p_self+p_team)/p_class in school 1. Writing this in terms of the parameters of the multinomial model, the function to estimate is

exp(intercept_self+school1_self) + exp(intercept_team+school1_team)

which can then be used in the FDATA= data set used by NLEstimate:

[P(self,S1)+P(team,S1)]/P(class,S1) | exp(b_p1+b_p3)+exp(b_p2+b_p4)

You mentioned getting different OR estimates… The NLMeans macro with options=ratio will estimate relative risks as stated in the note I referred to, not odds ratios. If you want to estimate odds ratios, you will need to estimate suitable expressions in the NLEstimate macro.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation