BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DJGS
Calcite | Level 5

I have a set of tooth wear data (from a non-human species) in the form of ratios--- the ratios are the amount of dentine exposure divided by the areas of the chewing surface of the tooth.  These ratios are not normally distributed. 

I am interested in comparing males and females in terms of their wear ratios as a function of age. So, I  have plotted these ratios against the ages of the individuals, and males seem to have a steeper linear slope than do females-- that is, the males wear ratios appear to increase faster as a function of age than do the females' wear ratios. I would like to know the best way to statistically compare males and females in terms of their linear regression slopes but the data, as I say, are not normal. Googling a bit, it seemed that Theil regression might work, but I am not sure. What would you recommend and if you have a recommendation can you point me in the direction of some SAS code that would help? Many thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The data does NOT have to be normally distributed for a linear regression to work. https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2018/08/27/on-the-assumptions-and-misconceptions-of-linear-regress...

The errors around the regression line have to be normally distributed (and independent and common variance).

So go ahead and fit a linear regression and then check the residuals to see if they are approximately normal.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The data does NOT have to be normally distributed for a linear regression to work. https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2018/08/27/on-the-assumptions-and-misconceptions-of-linear-regress...

The errors around the regression line have to be normally distributed (and independent and common variance).

So go ahead and fit a linear regression and then check the residuals to see if they are approximately normal.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation