BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bhr-q
Obsidian | Level 7

when I run the below code to perform the special cause test, I receive the warning shown below. Could you please advise on how to fix that?

proc shewhart data=tmp10;
pchart yes_answer*month /Markers subgroupn =  n_per_group     ODSTITLE="P-chart with Tests for Special Causes" 
                           tests = 1 to 4
                           testnmethod = standardize
                           table
                           tablelegend
                           nohlabel;
 LABEL yes_answer ="Prop of Pts Receiving IV Abx";                          
run;

WARNING: Asymmetric control limits encountered for yes_answer for at least one subgroup.
WARNING: It is assumed that the difference between the upper limit and center line represents three standard errors.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Quentin
Super User

Asymmetric control limits often happen for a p-chart, because the lower control limit is truncated at 0.  The warning says "It is assumed that the difference between the upper limit and center line represents three standard errors."  I would think that's a fair assumption, I don't see anywhere in your code that asked for different control limits.  On the chart, it shows the upper control limit as a 3-sigma limit, right?  I don't think I'd worry about this warning.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
bhr-q
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your answer, I have attached the chart, which indicates that the UCL is set at a 3-sigma limit. However, the LCL does not show a corresponding 3-sigma limit. I think this discrepancy is due to varying sample sizes and the proportion being very high for each subgroup, with the UCL approaching one. (in my case LCL doesn't truncate at zero)

Quentin
Super User

Agree, you've got 3-sigma limits.  But in your case the UCL is truncated by the maximum value, 1.  I wouldn't worry about the warning message.  Looking at tests 1-4, I think they should be fine. 

Quentin_0-1717982417935.png

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation