BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
iuri_leite
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear Friends,

I am writing to ask if there is anyway for me to run a exact GEE logistic regression in SAS?

I am running it using PROC GENMOD.

PROC GENMOD DESCENDING;
CLASS COPID WEEK (REF='0') COUNTRY (REF='BR');
MODEL HEPAT_B=WEEK COUNTRY/ DIST=BIN LINK=LOGIT;
REPEATED SUBJECT=COPID/TYPE=UN;
ESTIMATE 'TIME' WEEK 1 -1/EXP;
RUN;

WEEK is a dichotomous variable and when WEEK IS 1 HEPAT_B is always zero. When a use a logistic exact model I am able to estimate the effect of week. But when I run the GEE logistic, the model do not estimate the effect of week.

I could not see any option for exact logistic.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Iuri

4 REPLIES 4
Ksharp
Super User

I never heard that model.

Maybe @SteveDenham  @StatDave  knows ?

SteveDenham
Jade | Level 19

If WEEK is dichotomous, you might try removing it from the CLASS statement to see if that addresses your issue.  I am not familiar with any algorithms that apply exact tests in generalized estimating equations.

SteveDenham

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

Sparseness in the data like that typically cause problems in any modeling approach that uses an iterative fitting algorithm like maximum likelihood or GEE. In such cases, you might be able to get what you want using a stratified, conditional model or a nonmodeling approach. Using stratification, you could try using a conditional model and exact test in PROC LOGISTIC or using a nonmodeling approach with an exact analysis in PROC MULTTEST. These are both illustrated in this note.

iuri_leite
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear Dave,

I had tried this before. It was your suggestion.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Iuri

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation