BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bzagor1
Fluorite | Level 6

Greetings-

I am trying to estimate the treatment effect for a pre/post design, subjects were measured on healthcare utilization 1yr before and after the intervention (non-random assignment).   The dependent vars are  cost/utilization measures that are right skewed, some zero-inflated.   To control for the vastly different distribution of covariates, case subjects are matched to controls 1:1.  For the dependent variables that are not zero-inflated I am using GEE in GENMOD with either Gamma or Negative Binomial distribution, however, with the zero-inflated dep vars, GEE is not available and am seeking advice on which SAS statistical procS are available that would accommodate the zero-inflated and matched design.

Thanks in advance, Brandon Zagorski

Pre-Post Matched Analysis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

As indicated by StatDave, you need to use NLMIXED. THis is a very powerful procedure, but it requires programming. In addition to the link give, I like the following for very good instruction:

https://stats.oarc.ucla.edu/sas/faq/how-do-i-run-a-random-effect-zero-inflated-poisson-model-using-n...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Ksharp
Super User
You could take "Matched Analysis" as Mixed model(a.k.a repeated measured model).
Here is something you can refer to:

https://support.sas.com/kb/46/997.html

Also you could try PROC GLIMMIX to model Mixed model.
bzagor1
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, my dependent var is not dichotomous (its continuous, right skewed, zero inflated) so that reference do not apply.   And Proc Glimmix does not have zero inflated distributions available.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Brandon

Ksharp
Super User

proc genmod can fit zero-inflated Poisson distribution.
also you could try tweedie distribution which also could handle many zeros in Y.

Ksharp_0-1686137674171.png

bzagor1
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, @Ksharp .  I have a matched cohort and GENMOD does not accommodate this design in the zero-inflated models.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Brandon

StatDave
SAS Super FREQ

See the "Using PROC NLMIXED" sections of this note which show how you can fit a zero-inflated model using PROC NLMIXED. You could include a RANDOM statement to add a random effect for your matched pairs.

But the zero-inflated distributions, Poisson or negative binomial, are for a count response. For a continuous response you might consider using a modified gamma or Tweedie distribution, again fit using NLMIXED to which a RANDOM statement could be added. The modified gamma is shown in this note

lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12 lvm
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

As indicated by StatDave, you need to use NLMIXED. THis is a very powerful procedure, but it requires programming. In addition to the link give, I like the following for very good instruction:

https://stats.oarc.ucla.edu/sas/faq/how-do-i-run-a-random-effect-zero-inflated-poisson-model-using-n...

bzagor1
Fluorite | Level 6

Great, thanks.  I will look into this.  Again, thanks for your help!

Regards, Brandon

Ksharp
Super User
This credit should give to lvm. He deserve it .
Plz mark lvm's answer correct ,not mine .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation