BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
binfang
Fluorite | Level 6

I noticed there are something wrong with covariance estimates when fitting Generalized Linear Mixed Model, as it is shown below:

image.png

The model is a multinomial generalized mixed model, where the outcome is a 4-level categorical variable and all the predictors are continuous.

The SAS codes are as attached.

Can you suggest any way to fix the problem?

Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

What is wrong with the results?

--
Paige Miller
binfang
Fluorite | Level 6

One estimate is 0, the other one is extremely small. And their standard error are both missing.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

What makes a zero wrong? Those could be (and probably are) the correct calculations. 

--
Paige Miller
binfang
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Paige,

The model I am trying to fit is a categorical mixed model, where the outcome is a 4-level categorical variable. This means there should only be 3 rows of estimate in the covariance output, but there are 4 rows instead, which is not what I expected since one level should be used as reference. 

I have attached the modified syntax if you are interested to run. The data is attached in the next post.

Best,

Bin

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@binfang wrote:

This means there should only be 3 rows of estimate in the covariance output, but there are 4 rows instead, which is not what I expected since one level should be used as reference. 

I don't think this is correct, I think there are covariance estimates for every level of your 4-level categorical variable. But honestly, it has been a very long time since I did PROC GLIMMIX with DIST=MULTINOMIAL. Maybe someone knows.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation