BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ammarhm
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi everyone,

could anyone please tell me how to do a sample size calculation for the difference between 2 lab tests? see this link for further info on what I want to do

https://www.medcalc.org/manual/sampling_blandaltman.php

Thank you

AM

3 REPLIES 3
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @ammarhm,

Luckily, the full text of the paper containing the sample size formula is only three mouse clicks away from the MedCalc web page you refer to. The formula is not given in closed form, though. But even if you don't have a SAS/OR license to solve this equation, you can still use a Base SAS implemented solver. I have had positive experiences with macro %Bisect, which is presented in this SESUG 2007 paper.

ammarhm
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thanks @FreelanceReinhard. I appreciate your time writing a reply to my question, and I hope you (or anyone else) dont think I am being rude here, but honestly, i am not sure how to use your reply in answering my question...
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19
  1. Did you find the paper Lu et al. (2016) containing the sample size formula?
  2. Since you are going to do a sample size calculation, I hope that you can make sense of a sample size formula. Or are you only familiar with point-and-click tools for sample size calculation?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

What is ANOVA?

ANOVA, or Analysis Of Variance, is used to compare the averages or means of two or more populations to better understand how they differ. Watch this tutorial for more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation