BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
NicolaD
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

Is there anyway to keep the session active while it's printing to PDF? I have to print failrly large PDFs from WRS and while I split these into more managable chunks I find that some days WRS will happily print 450 pages within half an hour and other days it struggles to print 300 pages before the session times out.

Thanks

Nicola
6 REPLIES 6
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ
You can increase the timeout internal. The 4.2 instructions are here: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/biwaag/63536/HTML/default/viewer.htm#/documentation/cdl/... You also should be able to save the PDF to a file and print locally.

Message was edited by: BIC_USER_3@SAS
NicolaD
Calcite | Level 5
That's great, thank you. Our IT guys are going to fix it for me. It will make a real difference to my day 🙂
twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8
I am wondering why you would want to print 300 pages in the first place (and is WRS the appropriate medium to distribute)? how useful would that kind of report be?

Just thinking of the trees, if you do this on a regular occurance...

Barry
NicolaD
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

Sorry, let me clarify - when I say "printing" I mean using WRS's 'print to PDF' option, not actual physical printing on paper!

The reason we do it this way is that the reports have a group break on Area and there are in 152 Areas, we print the reports to PDF in batches (some reports only have a few pages per Area, some have 30+ pages per Area) Then we use a PDF splitter tool to split these PDFs up into individual Area reports.

I know this probably isn't the best intended use of WRS, but it was the best SAS solution the consultants from SAS, that my organisation were employing at the time, could come up with to meet our needs. We've now taken the project in-house and one of my roles is to maintain and develop these reports. Our customers access them as static PDF documents and not via WRS, we just use WRS as a production tool really. We produce these reports 3 times a year on fixed release dates as more data comes in.

Please don't worry about trees!

Nicola
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ
If you use the distribution feature, you can create a recipient list based on group break. The reports can be emailed as embedded HTML or as PDF attachments. Message was edited by: BIC_USER_3@SAS
NicolaD
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for the idea but that wouldn't work for our client base, our data is freely available to the public (upon registration) as well as specific client groups, therefore we host the PDFs on our website. It would work nicely if the reports were just intended for one specific person in each Area and i'll certainly bear that option in mind for future developments

Nicola Message was edited by: NicolaD

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation