BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Vimal08
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

We are performing migration from SAS 9.4 to SAS Viya 4 and wanted to segregate data. So can you please help us to figure out how we can segregate what data should be present in CAS and what in SPRE? Below are the list of SAS components which we are migrating:

SAS Component
ETL Flows
SAS OLAP Star Schema Cube
SAS OLAP Detailed Cube
SAS Relational Information Map
SAS Stored Process
SAS Visual Analytics Reports
Enterprise Miner
Visual Data Builder
Model Manager
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

These are a design questions, and there are no exact answers, and SAS components and data is a loose coupling. But I can try to elaborate a bit.

• ETL Flows - Is this done in DI Studio? Be aware that Viya not yet supports native transformations when migrating from 9.4. From data perspective, my guess would be that a majority of your ETL work load will not be able to utilize CAS without major reengineering, so SPRE if you want an easy migration. 
  • SAS OLAP Star Schema Cube - have to be recreated in VA, so CAS.
  • SAS OLAP Detailed Cube - if used for drill through in reports, CAS, otherwise it could be in SPRE depending on your ETL process.
  • SAS Relational Information Map - CAS.
  • SAS Stored Process - CAS.
  • SAS Visual Analytics Reports - CAS
  • Enterprise Miner - are you migrating to VDMML? If so, my guess would be CAS.
  • Visual Data Builder - this is a light wight ETL tool to make data available for 9.4 VA, not sure if you have data specifically for this... You'll use other corresponding data prep tools in Viya. I would analyse what you have here now, and see how to migrate/implement in Viya, then decide upon the data part. 
  • Model Manager - Same reasoning as for EM, se above.
Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

These are a design questions, and there are no exact answers, and SAS components and data is a loose coupling. But I can try to elaborate a bit.

• ETL Flows - Is this done in DI Studio? Be aware that Viya not yet supports native transformations when migrating from 9.4. From data perspective, my guess would be that a majority of your ETL work load will not be able to utilize CAS without major reengineering, so SPRE if you want an easy migration. 
  • SAS OLAP Star Schema Cube - have to be recreated in VA, so CAS.
  • SAS OLAP Detailed Cube - if used for drill through in reports, CAS, otherwise it could be in SPRE depending on your ETL process.
  • SAS Relational Information Map - CAS.
  • SAS Stored Process - CAS.
  • SAS Visual Analytics Reports - CAS
  • Enterprise Miner - are you migrating to VDMML? If so, my guess would be CAS.
  • Visual Data Builder - this is a light wight ETL tool to make data available for 9.4 VA, not sure if you have data specifically for this... You'll use other corresponding data prep tools in Viya. I would analyse what you have here now, and see how to migrate/implement in Viya, then decide upon the data part. 
  • Model Manager - Same reasoning as for EM, se above.
Data never sleeps
Vimal08
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you!!

AnandVyas
Ammonite | Level 13
Hi @Vimal08

All the 9.4 PROCs which don't have a corresponding or equivalent CAS action will run on SPRE. This should help you decide how to store your data assuming this question is primarily because of the data storage requirements specific to SPRE and CAS servers.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation