BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Dear all,

This might be a general question.

I am curious, if the traditional SAS OQ can run in the SAS Viya Workbench, or something similar.

This functionality is important for the Qualification process (GxP) in the Life Sciences industry.

Thank you in advance!
Best regards,

Juan

6 REPLIES 6
matt_becker
SAS Employee

Hi Juan,

Are you talking about the SAS Viya OQ tool (https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/sasadmincdc/v_056/oq/n19cufq96yvjpen1a6n77wrb3lfx.htm)? That is currently not supported given that Workbench is a different architecture.   Since Viya Workbench has been around for < 6 months and as the product continues to evolve, we consider additional capabilities, and will will keep you updated if that happens.

Matt

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @matt_becker ,

thank you very much for your reply, appreciated.

To reply to your question: yes and no... I am talking about the SAS OQ indeed. The link you provide is indeed for SAS Viya and not usable/supporting in Workbench or SAS Analytics Pro single container. This container would connect to the identity micro-service with RESTAPI/CLI then operate with the REST services to generate the SASOQ report. I am aware of the technicalities involved.

However, the SAS OQ is still needed for all SAS installations within the Life Sciences industry, as a bare-must due to the requirements of qualified environments.

Else they will eventually have multi-million fines.

SAS Viya Workbench & the SAS Viya's Analytics Pro container, at this moment, are unable to generate this report and, therefore, a hard-NO in this industry.

So, yes, please, do keep me/us posted with the status on this question.

Thank you in advance!

Juan

Quentin
Super User

If you install SAS 9 locally on on a PC, you can install the SAS Operational Qualification Tool.  https://support.sas.com/documentation/installcenter/en/ikinstqualtoolug/66614/PDF/default/qualificat...

That's what you're talking about, right? 

When you run the tool I think it essentially runs a SAS program via batch submit that runs a bunch of SAS code, checks the output, return codes, the log, etc.  It gives a nice report of pass/fail for each test, and is handy to have as objective evidence that SAS is operating correctly.  Typically with a new install, you would run both the IQ tool and the OQ tool.

Seems like it should be possible to get the OQ tool running on Workbench.  I think it's mostly pure SAS code.  If workbench has a batch submit feature (not sure) and/or XCMD enabled, I would think it would be fairly straight forward.  And agree, for many companies in regulated industries an OQ tool would be needed before Workbench could be used for production work.

The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16
Hi Quentin,

indeed, I know exactly what you are talking about, however unfortunately is not that easy.
There are a lot of dependencies to resolve. Ideally the best would be to have this resolved or a proper workaround.

Since above it was mentioned there will be progress and updates from vendor side, I am looking forward to them!
Quentin
Super User

Hi Juan,

Agree, it would not be easy for us as users.  I was thinking it should be straight-forward for SAS Inc. to develop a similar OQ tool that would run on Workbench.  Since Workbench is built to run SAS code, and in my very limited testing seems very SAS 9-ish (SAS 10-ish? : ) , I don't think it would be difficult for them to do.

--Q.

The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.
matt_becker
SAS Employee

Hi both,

Yes, completely understood. Even with SAS 9, the OQ scripts use Perl to execute. I do know that each is an individual SAS program, so those could potentially be used. Will keep everyone posted as we move along. It's on the radar.

Matt

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 12 likes
  • 3 in conversation