BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rieley
Calcite | Level 5

I have a colleague, who like me is new to SAS Visual Analytics, and neither of us appreciate some of the features.

Here is my colleague's question:

What is the difference between “loading” and “importing” a table? In both cases the table is being placed on to the LASR server. In the Admin guide, “loading” a table is mentioned in the context of the task being performed by an administrator. In the Admin guide, “importing” a table is used in the context of a “self-service” action performed by a non-administrator. Is “loading” vs “importing” only a semantic distinction or is there any substantive difference?

I use SAS Visual Analytics Data Builder version 7.4 dated April 5, 2017

i use chrome Version 60.0.3112.78 (Official Build) (32-bit)

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
alexal
SAS Employee

@rieley,

If we are speaking about the LASR server there is no difference. You are just loading data into the memory by using "proc lasr" or "data step". If we are speaking about SAS/VA there is a difference:

• Load data - means you are importing data from servers directly to the LASR server, please see Importing Data from Servers
  • Import data - means you are importing local data files, but "proc import" will be started before loading data into the memory, for the data conversion. Please see Importing Local Data Files

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
alexal
SAS Employee

@rieley,

If we are speaking about the LASR server there is no difference. You are just loading data into the memory by using "proc lasr" or "data step". If we are speaking about SAS/VA there is a difference:

• Load data - means you are importing data from servers directly to the LASR server, please see Importing Data from Servers
  • Import data - means you are importing local data files, but "proc import" will be started before loading data into the memory, for the data conversion. Please see Importing Local Data Files
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Typically, "self-service importing" is an 'on-the-fly' action taken by someone using SAS Visual Analytics Designer or Explorer. They have an Excel file, or a delimited file, or a SAS data set (local or on a server) that they want to to use in a report or an exploration. So, they use the Import Data pane of the Add Data Source dialog box to select the file to load to LASR. Often, LASR tables loaded in this way are intended for use only by the user who imported (loaded) it.

Administrators typically use the SAS Visual Analytics Administrator to load (and reload) possibly many tables for general use by many end-users. From the Administrator, only tables that are registered in metadata can be loaded. Other tasks typically done by an administrator to load tables include implementing autoload and configuring LASR libraries to support reload-on-start.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation