BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
amitgsas1
Calcite | Level 5

What is the difference between filters i.e. both simple and advanced filters and display rules. 

What are those specific cases when filters i.e. both simple and advanced filters are prefered over display rules ?

What are those specific cases when display rules are preferred over filters ?

3 REPLIES 3
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello,

Filters select which data values are displayed and included in calculations (such as totals).

Filters documentation

Display rules highlight the data values that meet certain criteria (for a very basic example, you could make negative values red.) Display rules do not subset the data.

Display rules documentation

I hope this helps,

Sam

amitgsas1
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Sam, we also have expressions in display rules where we can narrow down our search eg: Salary > $50,000. In this case, isn't the display rule behaving like a filter. In such cases, the question is whether to use filters or display rules. What's preferred in what scenario.

Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The display rule doesn't remove data from the results, which is what a filter does. With a display rule, you are simply applying a style to values that meet your criteria. For example, changing the color of the value from black to red.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation