BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jplarios
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I have data that I would like to append to what is already in memory; however, I would also like to update as sometimes we have deletes which would need to reflect on the visual.

Thank you for any help on this.

7 REPLIES 7
saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

there is an option to append when you go into data preparation view. after you select a new query and add the dataset (by using the + option), you can click on "append tables" under LASR drop down menu.

jplarios
Quartz | Level 8

Hi saspert,

so for example, the following data set:

Dataset containing 10 variables and having at least a million records ( if less  observations what would be the alternate approach?) in memory in SAS VA.

I want to do 2 things: (1)update the table with new records but if some older records should be deleted as given from the source, delete. (2) given the periods of time, I collect only up to 10 periods of history constantly, so when period #1 is past duee, I want to delete those from memory - to keep only the 10 most current time-periods.

Lorrie_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi jplarios,

If you plan on creating a data query as saspert suggested, you can schedule it to run periodically so that it picks up any changes made to the source tables. Here is some more information about scheduling data queries that may be helpful to you:

SAS(R) Visual Analytics 7.3: User's Guide

Best regards,

Lorrie

jplarios
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Lorrie,

so as you and saspert mentioned, the append will also do updates? I see the append, but how will it know on what conditions should it update?

like if I wanted to specify some key or index. Or does the append checks and does something like  a select * from A  except select * from B ?

saspert
Pyrite | Level 9

It looks as if a custom query needs to be written to update the table. See if Data Management community can help you better? If I were you, I would try to write sas code and use it in a stored process, register the stored process and the end table in SAS MC. I would try this process in SAS EG first if you have it then go for the stored process route.

From what it looks like, the append option in SAS VA would let you just add 2 tables - not so sure about delete option.

Explore_SAS
Obsidian | Level 7

I don't think we have any to update lasr table directly.

using your SAS code create a separate data do all you operation on that.. delete the rows from in memory tables and then just append with your latest dataset.

Explore_SAS
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, we can append the lasr table using the PROC IMSTAT.

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings15/SAS1905-2015.pdf

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation