BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
elkinsbe
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a hidden section containing a table of customers (rows) and about 45 flag variables (0/1).... In another section of the report, I have a table of customers that I wish to link to the hidden page... I wish a selection on the table will visualize a pop-up window showing the selected customer -- along with the flag variables that equal 1 from the hidden section....

Currently, when a customer is selected, the pop-up provides the 1-row of the customer along with *all* the variables from the hidden section (regardless if they are valued 0 or 1)... I only want the flag variables valued = 1 to appear in the pop-up.... 

Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcomed indeed!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

We had some discussion and we think we understand. You have multiple flag columns we assume. A filter won't remove columns, so if the target table has all of the flag columns, then they are going to show the values that match whatever row you clicked on in the source table. One suggestion is to use a display rule to highlight the cells with FLAG=1. 

Madelyn_SAS_0-1675355130101.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Can you provide screen shots of the source and the target table? 

elkinsbe
Obsidian | Level 7

elkinsbe_0-1675342980558.png

Thank you for your response! -- on the left is the table listing in a section containing customers and some attributes. on the right is the hidden section that contains all the customers along with these flag variables (valued either 0 or 1).

What I am trying to figure out is how I can action and link these objects so .... double clicking on a customer name will create a pop up window that contains that customer along with it's flag variables from the hidden section WHEN THE FLAGS ARE = 1. 

Currently, the popup window contains *all* the flags regardless if they are valued 1 or 0.

Hope this helps you understand the obstacle I am facing ... look forward to insight how to resolve. Many thanks in advance.

Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

That is not how it is working for me, so there must be something else going on. How are you linking to the pop-up page? Are you just checking this box? 

Madelyn_SAS_0-1675353428705.png

elkinsbe
Obsidian | Level 7

Good morning! Yes, that is exactly how I am linking the table object to the other page (hidden).... Please know, the popup is working fine.... my query is I wish to filter the variables that are shown in the popup to ONLY be the flag variables that are equal to 1. Currently, the popup window is showing ALL the variables regardless of their value.... so I guess the real question is how to ONLY have the variables = 1 for the double clicked customer appear in the popup window?????  Many thanks in advance for your reply.... anxiously watching for your reply.....

Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

We had some discussion and we think we understand. You have multiple flag columns we assume. A filter won't remove columns, so if the target table has all of the flag columns, then they are going to show the values that match whatever row you clicked on in the source table. One suggestion is to use a display rule to highlight the cells with FLAG=1. 

Madelyn_SAS_0-1675355130101.png

elkinsbe
Obsidian | Level 7

OUTSTANDING RECOMMENDATION!!

Here's a screen shot implementing that recommendation!.... Hooray for SAS Communities!!! --- EVERY SINGLE TIME I REACH OUT THERE ARE PEOPLE TO ASSIST ME!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!

elkinsbe_0-1675357660212.png

SteveMellgren
SAS Employee

One more option to consider, depending on how you'd like your end user to receive the result. 

Current solution is to highlight the flag=1 as green.  

Flag1.png

But if you transpose your table from wide to long, then you can control the result to show only results where flag=1.  Just transpose data to one flag per row (multiple rows per customer), then you can filter your linked sheet to show only flag=1.  Same information provided to end user, but this version filters out any flag=0.  You'd would have to determine if the effort to transpose is worth the final result.

Flag2.png

elkinsbe
Obsidian | Level 7
How does one transpose the table from wide to long???? Please tell me...
SteveMellgren
SAS Employee

Transposing data would be part of data preparation and an additional step before loading into VA.  That is why I mentioned you'd have to determine if it was worth the effort to transpose the data.  The purpose of my comment was to make you aware that the structure of the data can impact visualization options.

Here is a link to a SAS communities article explaining why you’d want to transpose and how you could do it with SAS code ( https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Transpose-your-analysis-data-with-the-MAKELON... ).

If you are not a coder, there are low code/ no code options like SAS Studio, SAS Data Studio, or even Excel if that is the source of your data.

elkinsbe
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you for the further suggestions.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation