BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
steventr
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I would like to plot the number of records on a timeseries for the last 18 months.

EG data :

Remark : dates are DD MM YYYY

Problem id - Open date - Close date

1 - 01/03/2018 - 01/06/2018

2 - 01/04/2018 - 01/06/2018

3 - 01/05/2018 - 01/07/2018

Meaning that on a timeline, the line chart should show 0 problems from start 1/12/2017, 1 problem from 1/3 till 1/4, 2 problems from 1/4 till 1/5, 3 problems from 1/5 till 1/6 and then 1 problem starting from 1/6 till 1/7 and 0 problems from 1/7 till now.

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
FredrikE
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

HI!

I think the schedule chart could help you:

https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=vaobj&docsetTarget=n03cv71p8gm7jwn1xju65x8omzlc.htm&docsetVe...

I think It is hidden by default and that you can enable it from the objects meny.

//Fredrik

steventr
Calcite | Level 5

certainly an interesting object, but not suitable for what I need. It needs to be a line chart, and I seem to only be able to have a bar chart, so I can't really use it to show/count the amount of rows. I can only plot out the rows in bars.

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

What you probably want to do is change your data structure to have a single Date variable and multiple rows for each problem as needed.

Problem ID - Date

1 - 01/04/2018

1 - 01/05/2018

1 - 01/06/2018

2 - 01/04/2018

and so on.

Once you have this structure you can just create a time series plot of Frequency versus Date.

Sam

steventr
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Sam, this is my current workaround but it causes my row count to go from 1.4 Million to 25 Mio. This takes so much calc time and space. Also messes up other reports that need the uniqueness of id’s. So i was looking for a more interesting way. Worst case i’ll have to make a second dataset with grouping per date and without the other columns before sending to VA. Still need the original for other reports.
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

I didn't know we were talking about so much data. A second dataset that is pre-aggregated by date is probably a good idea.

Out of curiosity, do you know of other software that will visualize your data in the way you're looking for? This might make it easier to convey your needs to the development team.

Thanks,
Sam

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation