BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SAS_Explorer
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Community,

I'm following this URL http://support.sas.com/kb/47/100.html

I've created a User Defined format and saved it at "SAS-config-dir/Lev1/SASApp/SASEnvironment/SASFormats" as specified.

How can I use this format in SAS VA Designer?

What steps to be followed to "define User Defined Formats in the SAS® LASR™ Analytic Server"?

Kind Regards,

SAS Explorer

8 REPLIES 8
TedStolarczyk
SAS Employee

SAS Explorer:

It's not that you can "use" (per se) the user-defined custom format within SAS VA Designer.

SAS VA Designer can "recognize" the user-defined custom format already applied to the source data.

So it is assumed the user-defined custom format was applied to the column/variable (in something like SAS EG, BASE SAS, or the like) PRIOR to following that SASNOTE and PRIOR to loading the SAS data set into SAS VA LASR.

Once all that takes place and then working with such data items is documented here (as well as related/unrelated topics):

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/vaug/68648/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0uroboxihl12on1pzzkf...

Do a search on the term "user-defined" throughout above page (there should be 20 occurrences).

1 example ... The designer can display data items using an existing user-defined format that has already been specified externally for a data column in a data source. However, you cannot specify a new or different user-defined format for a data item in the designer. 

Hope this helps,

Ted Stolarczyk, SAS Customer Loyalty team

SAS_Explorer
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @TedStolarczyk,

Thanks alot for that link, now I got some idea and These are the steps I followed:

1. Created an ODBC Library in SMC and registered the tables.

2. From SAS EG using LIBNAME statement I accessed the table.

3. Applied the User-defined format to the table(i.e, converting Billions to INR).

4. Now I'm stuck at loading the table to the LASR Server? , can you guide me how to do this.

Kind Regards,

SAS Explorer

TedStolarczyk
SAS Employee

SAS Explorer:

Loading data to SAS LASR Server is the same thing as loading data into SAS Visual Analytics.

LASR Server is basically the "back-end" in-memory data "store" behind SAS Visual Analytics.

Not to be presumptuous, have you ever loaded data into SAS Visual Analytics before?

Particularly for SAS data sets, they are a variety of ways to do it ...

* Pre-define SAS libname (and Metadata folder reference) in SAS Management Console and then load into memory via SAS VA Web Admin interface (via that Metadata folder reference); or

* SAS Visual Data Builder; or

* directly from within SAS Visual Analytics Designer (Reporter) itself via self-service load; or

* directly from within SAS Visual Analytics Explorer itself via self-service load; or

* place the data file in SAS Visual Analytics Auto-Load directly structure (assuming this is configured within your installation); or

* SAS Add-in for MS-Office or Enterprise Guide can "push" data to SAS LASR (depending on your version and if they are set up in a shared Metadata environment with your VA).

Any of these methods assume you even have proper authorization to load data into your SAS VA LASR, so you may need to work with your SAS Admin.

Hope this helps,

Ted

ram1981mehta
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I used your guidelines .

proc format lib=TTT;
picture social (round)
1E03-<1000000='000K' (mult=.001 )
1E06-<1000000000='000.9M' (mult=.00001)
1E09-<1000000000000='000.9B' (mult=1E-08)
1E12-<1000000000000000='000.9T' (mult=1E-11);
run;

DATA sample;
SET insighttoy_notexta(OBS=1000);

formatted_total=ORDERTOTAL;  

format formatted_total social.;

RUN;

I uploaded the sample dataset to sas va, then when I am using the same in SAS VA designer the system is recognize the social format and I can see 1mi, 2mi figures.

The problem is that I cannot convert it to measure  i.e. I want to display the total of 1m + 2m as 3m . I am getting 2 different rows of 1mi and 2mi .

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Ram

ram1981mehta
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I used your guidelines .

proc format lib=TTT;
picture social (round)
1E03-<1000000='000K' (mult=.001 )
1E06-<1000000000='000.9M' (mult=.00001)
1E09-<1000000000000='000.9B' (mult=1E-08)
1E12-<1000000000000000='000.9T' (mult=1E-11);
run;

DATA sample;
SET insighttoy_notexta(OBS=1000);

formatted_total=ORDERTOTAL;  

format formatted_total social.;

RUN;

I uploaded the sample dataset to sas va, then when I am using the same in SAS VA designer the system is recognize the social format and I can see 1mi, 2mi figures.

The problem is that I cannot convert it to measure  i.e. I want to display the total of 1m + 2m as 3m . I am getting 2 different rows of 1mi and 2mi .

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Ram

TedStolarczyk
SAS Employee

ram1981mehta:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about ...

Refer to earlier within this particular SAS VA Community posting thread:

http://support.sas.com/kb/47/100.html

These are SAS Documentation (Tech Supported) guidelines.

Among other things (related and unrelated), they describe particular scenarios where once a Custom Format comes into SAS Visual Analytics, it can NOT be then changed or re-formatted into another data item type.

If what I'm describing is totally not related to the problem you're currently experiencing, I will need to refer you to SAS Tech Support for further troubleshooting and resolution.

Hope this helps,

Ted Stolarczyk, SAS Customer Loyaly team

Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

All data items with an applied user-defined format are categories. You cannot change them to measures.

ram1981mehta
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my post.I am attaching my requirements , it's part of the retail insights report (Sample report)

https://www.sas.com/en_gb/software/business-intelligence/visual-analytics/demo/retail-insights/sampl...

I am attaching the screen shot of my requirements, I want to display a measure i.e. in millions.

Can you please suggest any ideas.

Thanks,

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation