BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AshleyP
Calcite | Level 5

I have a Crosstab which summarises Monthly Sales by Country. Country is down the page, Month is across the page.

I have created a Link to another Section as I want the user to be able to double click on the Country so they can display the same Crosstab in the linked Section, but this time at Region level (Region is next layer down below Country). However, I only appear to be able to double click on one of the Month values, which then takes me to the linked Section, by Country but only dosplays the Month I have double clicked on.

Can I create a Crosstab Link to another Section, also a Crosstab, without selecting a specific column (Month) value?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
Hello Ashley,

I am not an expert on the report designer but as I understand it, you can only link from a crosstab by double-clicking a specific cell. The row and column headings do not link.

I don't know if this would be helpful, but you could put a bar chart on the same section with the same data roles, and assign the section link to the bar chart.

Maybe someone else can offer a better workaround?

Thanks,
Sam

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
Hello Ashley,

I am not an expert on the report designer but as I understand it, you can only link from a crosstab by double-clicking a specific cell. The row and column headings do not link.

I don't know if this would be helpful, but you could put a bar chart on the same section with the same data roles, and assign the section link to the bar chart.

Maybe someone else can offer a better workaround?

Thanks,
Sam
SAS_Mike
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

If I understand what you are trying to accomplish, it is less about linking to another Cross Table, and more about being able to drill down.  I loaded a very basic test file with only the data you mentioned and created a hierarchy First by country and then added region.  If you add the hierarchy in, it allows you to select the plus button to the left of the name which will then let you expand the selection to see the region.  There is also a drill down button that lets you only focus on the regions for that country.

You can create the hirearchy by selecting options in the top left.  You will need to select the country category first, and then the regions category.  Then you add it in like normal, only now you will see the expand and drill down option next to the country name. 

Hope this helps.

Mike

Sales by Region Test.JPG
AshleyP
Calcite | Level 5

Mike,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply and provide an example of how to do this.

Your suggestion is a very good alternative way to do what I need.

I didn't actually realise that you could use a hierarchy in a cross-tab as a replacement for Categories (in this case Country and Region). I incorrectly thought that you had to overlay the hierarchy on the report after adding the columns/rows so this is very useful information for me.

Regards,

Ashley

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

I'm glad you found a way to accomplish what you were looking to do, AshleyP! Can you "accept Mike's answer as a solution"? That will help other community members if they run into the same thing.

Thanks!

Anna

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation