BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Albert0
Quartz | Level 8

Hi All,

I hope you're doing well. I have a question if I can get or compute the median of a table in Data Query? I would like to pre-compute this in VDB and make it static before creating a report in VA. 

Hope someone could tell me if this is possible or not.

Thanks.

Albert

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I don't think so, at least not OOTB. Perhaps in a separate Base SAS program.
But why? Saving the median into a table makes the data inflexible.
Data never sleeps
itchyeyeballs
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

@Albert0 I think using the point and click tools in data builder you can only calculate average not median, however you can unlock the code so may well be able to manually calculate - https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Visual-Analytics/Tip-Unlocking-code-in-SAS-Visual-Data-Builder/td...

If you don't have Data Integration Studio then Enterprise Guide will allow you to do what you need.

@LinusH- I agree with your sentiment but unfortunately VA lacks the power of its main competitors to calculate aggregations of aggregations, this forces report designers to pre-aggregate data in order to meet the needs of end users. Not ideal but doesn't seem likely to change in the short/medium term, Its a shame as VA is a decent tool otherwise. http://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2016/06/21/need-an-aggregation-of-an-aggregation-use-visual-data-bu...

Albert0
Quartz | Level 8
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your help...I'll try another approach.

Regards,
Albert0

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation