BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Carrot17
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Experts,

Good day!

Anyone here encountered warning message: "The server did not understand the application request for data" and what is the solution?

FYI. We encountered the warning message when we print to pdf the Custom Graph. Please advise. Thank you so much.

Best Regards,

Carrot17

10 REPLIES 10
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi Carrot17,

The error message you are getting is reported to also be an issue when rendering a report in the SAS Mobile BI app that uses parameters. There is a hotfix for it for SAS VA 7.1. http://support.sas.com/kb/55/609.html

Some questions to consider:

• What version of SAS VA are you using?
  • What browser are you using - type and version? Do you get this message across different browser types? (If you haven't tried, please try it.)
  • Does the Custom Graph you're trying to print to .pdf use parameters? If so, can you print to .pdf another object that doesn't have parameters.
  • What is the underlying Custom Graph object type? ie/ bar chart etc?
  • Have you looked at the server log files? What are the messages around the same time you access the report?

Some basic troubleshooting is required to isolate the issue in an effort to work out the cause of this generic message. This is something that would be helpful to also pass onto SAS Technical Support if you decide to go down that path.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
Carrot17
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you Michelle for quick response. Our SAS version is 7.1 hotfix 04. I will try some questions to consider and i'll get back to you. Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Carrot17
Carrot17
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Michelle,

Please see below Answers for questions to consider:
Q: What version of SAS VA are you using?
A: SAS version 7.1 hotfix 04
Q: What browser are you using - type and version? Do you get this message across different browser types? (If you haven't tried, please try it.)
A: We only have Google Chrome version 48.0.2564.109(64-bit) and I.E version 11.0.9600.18230. I tried both in I.E and Google chrome still the same issue.
Q: Does the Custom Graph you're trying to print to .pdf use parameters? If so, can you print to .pdf another object that doesn't have parameters.
A: I tried to removed the parameter and filters also the same issue.
Q: What is the underlying Custom Graph object type? ie/ bar chart etc?
A: We have a lots of Custom Graph there's a butterfly chart which both Bar Charts, there's a combination of Bar and Line Chart and some are combination of multiple graphs.
Q: Have you looked at the server log files? What are the messages around the same time you access the report?
A: I don't have access to the server log files. I will ask our admin.

Thank you.
Carrot17

MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi Carrot17,

Thanks for your reply and actions.

It seems that your report may be rather complext with may custom graphs and parameters and filters. Is there interactions as well? It could be the unique combination of objects/parameters/filters/interactions that is causing the error or it could be the custom graph object.

If you create a new report with the Custom Graph object you are trying to print and attempt to print it to .pdf? This will be an isolated test to see if there is something with your custom graph object. If you get no error it might be due to the combination as I mention above.

In any case, it would be good to see if there are any messages in the log and potentially raise it with SAS Technical Support, you could send them a link to this post and your log file.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
Carrot17
Quartz | Level 8
Hi Michelle,

I tried as well to delete the interactions and nothing happen. Still same warning message. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Carrot17
EWS
Obsidian | Level 7 EWS
Obsidian | Level 7

Good afternoon,

We had similar errors within one of our reports and we found the root cause in the dataset. When your dataset contains records which has a longer length then the set length/format in the data builder.

What I did do find the causing record(s) was narrow the filter in the visual and increase till the error appeared.

Good luck 

Carrot17
Quartz | Level 8
Hi EWS,

Thank you for sharing. Anyways, What do you mean with longer length? Length of Column Name or Data itself?

Best Regards,
Carrot17

EWS
Obsidian | Level 7 EWS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Carrot17,

What I mean is, when the length of the data itself is longer as the set column length. 

Normally the column length is set automatically when adding a column to the dataset in the data builder this is depending on the source data . But you can manually override this or and this happened with our data the source data was changed after the initial query was build which caused the error. After increasing the column length in the data builder and run the query again all errors where solved.

Carrot17
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks EWS! I will try to increase the length. And let you know. Thanks Again!

Regards,
Carrot17
Carrot17
Quartz | Level 8
Hi,

I tried to create a simple custom graph and used same data source/data item without changing in the data set length, the custom graph can print. however, when custom graph has 2 or more graphs combination it can't print. Thank you.

Regards,
Carrot17.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation