BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Adelaida
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear all,

I have a problem with the default format sas chooses when I create a Star Schema.
All the fileds with character data type are included with format $100 / $40 even if the type is right, character(100) or character(40).
First I didn't mind but when I tried to build a formula in Analytics Explorer it gave my wrong type error in confronting a character category with a text value. I include an image of my star schema along with the formula I try to build in Analytics Explorer:
IF ( 'DESC_SCENARIO'n = ('BUDGET VERSIONE 1') )
RETURN 'BDG_NET_EUR'n
ELSE 0

Star schema.png

As you can see in the above formula the DESC_SCENARIO is considered as a number type column even if it is a character type column.
I tried to change the format, but there is no way to do this.
What can I do? Why SAS Visual Data Builder choose this format, how can I change this behaviour?
I appreciate any help that you can provide,
Adelaida

1 REPLY 1
Renato_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @Adelaida,

What makes you think that DESC_SCENARIO is considered a number?

If the reason is because you see the letter n in the expression (e.g. 'DESC_SCENARIO'n), this doesn't mean a number. This n indicates a named data item, which could be calculated or not. These are valid syntax in expressions:

'DESC_SCENARIO'n --> a data item (numeric or character)

'DESC_SCENARIO'p --> a parameter (numeric or character)

'DESC_SCENARIO' --> a string

Best,

Renato

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation