BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tommy81
Obsidian | Level 7

Can SAS Visual Analytics be used as a pure Data Visualization  similar to QlikView or Tableu. Or is it coming as a packaged solution with the LASR Server for High performance computing.

Also how does it fare against the above on Cost/License.

Kindly provide details if any.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi tommy,

The second remark in your first question is right, it is a package.

You can easily get data into the "in memory" LASR server and analyze/report it.

The interface is very user friendly and almost no need from IT for this is needed.

Greetings

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

HI tommy,

I know that several companies compared SAS VA with Qlickview.

From 2 of them I know for sure they prefered SAS VA.

We also use SAS VA  for powerfull management reporting.

I have no price comparing for you.

greetings

tommy81
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Peter.

One more thing to know is whether SAS VA comes along with SAS  BI suite items like DI Studio, InfoMap and WRS, or is it used to build on top of these Bi Stacks .

PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi tommy,

The second remark in your first question is right, it is a package.

You can easily get data into the "in memory" LASR server and analyze/report it.

The interface is very user friendly and almost no need from IT for this is needed.

Greetings

Quentin
Super User

SAS VA is a separate product than the BI suite.  It is not part of the BI suite, nor is it built on top of the BI stacks (as I understand it).  Licensed separately, has distinct hardware needs, etc.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
RickStyll_SAS
SAS Employee

Tommy,

Just wanted to address the part of your question about pure data visualization, like other tools you are familiar with. The LASR Server can certainly processing extremely large volumes of data quickly when deployed on distributed hardware.  However, you can use it to visualize small tables, such as those you might import from a .csv file or Excel Spreadsheet.  As Peter mentioned, LASR comes packaged with Visual Analytics, and you can also deploy it entirely on a single machine if you don’t have big data needs.  I wasn’t certain what you meant specifically by pure data visualization.  Based on the context, it seemed like you might be referring to self-service visual exploration of smaller data.

For more comprehensive comparisons of SAS Visual Analytics to alternatives, such as QlikView and Tableau that you mentioned, I would recommend looking at independent sources from industry thought leaders and analyst firms, such as Cindi Howson’s BI Scorecard (http://www.biscorecard.com), Forrester (http://www.forrester.com/Business-Intelligence), and Gartner (https://www.gartner.com/doc/2668318), to name a few.

Rick Styll

SarahRose
Calcite | Level 5

Here is a comparison SAS Visual Analytics vs. Tableau by real users. Some of the users talk about price which has not been mentioned in this thread but was asked about in the original question. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 5 in conversation