BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
abcde
Obsidian | Level 7

I have created a bubble chart that is drillable to six levels.  I need to create a reference line to show the median for each level separately.  The problem is when I drill down the median should represent the current chart not the first one. 

2 REPLIES 2
TriciaAanderud
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

The reference lines have limited functionality as you have discovered.

I want to use a parameter to control them - maybe that will make it into a future release.  🙂 

Tricia Aanderud

Twitter: @taanderud - Follow me!

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @abcde,

If your reference line can be the average, instead of median, I think there is a workaround.

I've recently replied to a different inquiry, in which I've explained the steps to simulate hiearchy navigation using control objects, such as drop down lists, to solve a different problem. but I think it could help with your particular case as well. The steps are explained here,

Besides implementing the series of drop down lists (5 total in your case), you would need to create an aggregated measure (let's call it Average Order Total) to be used as the reference line, that looks like this:

Expression Average Order Total

Observe that the expression above calculates the average (not the median) as you asked originally. 

To finalize, you will need to create a custom chart that combines a bubble and a line chart, making sure they both share the same Y axis.

These are a few screenshots with the following role assignment:

Roles assignment

Continent level:

Level 1 Continent

Country level:

Level 2 Country

State level:

Level 3 State

I hope it helps.

Best,

Renato

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation