BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SAS_Explorer
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SAS Community,

I'm pretty new to SAS VA and need some clarity on the following questions:

1. Registering DB Tables into ODBC library, will it fetch complete table data and save it in the library?

2. When we Unload and Reload the LASR table will it Query the DB, how the flow would be?

Regards

SAS Explorer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

1. Registering tables (in metadata) does not copy/move any physical data.

2. If you have defined them like that, yes. The flow would probably be that you query the data, and it loads to the LASR. If you think that's inconvenient, you can store the data in SAS first. and load from there. Do you have any constraints using data from your ODBC source?

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

1. Registering tables (in metadata) does not copy/move any physical data.

2. If you have defined them like that, yes. The flow would probably be that you query the data, and it loads to the LASR. If you think that's inconvenient, you can store the data in SAS first. and load from there. Do you have any constraints using data from your ODBC source?

Data never sleeps
SAS_Explorer
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @LinusH,

The problem I'm facing is, I've registered tables in the ODBC library. When I'm using these tables in the Data Query(using SAS VA Data Builder) it is taking more than 30mins and still running.

Tables contain around 2 GB of data.

I'm unable to understand whether SAS is slow or the way which I followed is wrong.

Kindly Guide me, so that I can overcome this issue

Regards

SAS Explorer

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

First, you need to understand where the bottleneck is. 

My guess it is in the data source, or data transport on the network.

Try to execute a similar query in enterprise guide, and then perhaps on another ODBC client connection.

talk to the DBA for some help to evaluate the situation.

If you usually do a full load of data, consider store a local copy in a SAS SPDE libname. Then you need some measure to update this local copy with changes from ODBC - you need some update logic I guess.

Data never sleeps
SAS_Explorer
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @LinusH,

I'll check on those parameters which you mentioned and update you soon.

Regards

SAS Explorer 🙂

maverickkub
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi

Asper the messages I guess the amount of data is too small if it is taking that much amount of time.Try to uplaod the table in Lasr thorugh SAS Enterprise gude  by Uplaod to LASR feature.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation